re.re. Tolkien and Lewis

  • Rateliff, John
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 25, 2005
      > billie_knght wrote:
      > I have managed to overload myself on information on both men now to
      > the point I can't remember the original idea for the thesis! I've got
      > so many interesting facts written down about them both,that to narrow
      > my choice to one clear statement is a real trial at this point and
      > its due on the 31st. I had no idea the scope of the information there
      > is out there. I feel like I'm out of my depth here, I chose the
      > topic, my professor believes I'm capable of it but now I'm not so
      > sure. I've steered away from the influence theme because of their
      > individuality as well as their friendship is much more fascinating
      > but now I haven't got a clue what my argument is.

      Well, it's clear from your two previous posts (3/21 & 3/13) that you're interested in Lewis and influence -- intitially CSL's influence on other children's writers, then JRRT's influence on Lewis's conversion. The penultimate sentence of the 3/21-05 post is as strong a thesis statement as you could ever need for a nice, short piece: a look at "the most significant event in Lewis's life", e.g. the night when he overcame all his intellectual barriers to a full acceptance of Xianity. This links to your course because without that event he would never have come to write the Chronicles of Narnia. You have Lewis's account in SBJ to build from, his letter to Greeves to indicate that he knew full well at the time how important that night was, and Tolkien's poem or the excerpt therefrom to recap the intellectual argument that won Lewis over by enabling him to have his cake and eat it too: accept that Xianity WAS a myth but not JUST a myth: rather the one and only time that a myth and historical fact entirely overlapped, so he could both enjoy it as a myth and respect it as cold sober history.
      Three small caveats:
      (1) I think Hooper is misremembering slightly and that it was 2 or 3 am when JRRT called it a night. Perhaps it wasn't till 4 that Dyson left; in any case, this should be easy for you to check.
      (2) Lewis's conversion didn't actually happen that night but a few days later, when he was riding in the sidecar of his brother's motorcycle on a trip either from or to the zoo: that was his 'road to Damascus' moment.
      (3) Always good to show slight caution in use of sources: SURPRISED BY JOY was written over twenty years later and for the deliberate purpose of presenting certain events from Lewis's life to make a moral lesson. There's no reason to doubt its overall accuracy but CSL seems to have selected, omitted, and changed emphasis on a number of things. It's not autobiography in the sense that a straight memoir or even a collected blog would be but a very carefully structured piece of nonfiction prose written to demonstrate a specific thesis, using his own life as the raw material.
      Good luck on your paper.
      --JDR

      > >> The thesis is a assignment for my children's literature course. I
      > in
      > >> no way pretend to be an expert in this field or any other. That
      > being
      > >> said on watching the biography of C.S. Lewis produced by the BBC,
      > >> Walter Hooper (Literary Adviser to the Lewis estate)was quoted as
      > >> saying that Tolkien, Lewis and Dysan were up till 4 in the
      > morning
      > >> discussing the true myth and the concept of christianity, and
      > >> according to him that late October evening back in 1931 was the
      > night
      > >> that Lewis came away a believer. The most significant event in
      > >> Lewis's life yes? You got to give some credit to Tolkien for that
      > >> surely!

    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 25, 2005
        Is it possible to see the 1967 BBC series on LWW? I'm interested both in
        seeing it and hearing the BBC Radio adaptation of the entire Chronicles. Can
        list members recommend ways to get ahold of the two?

        Thanks,
        Hugh Davis
      • Debra Murphy
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 26, 2005
          My daugher and I are listening to the Narnia audiobook with a different reader for each book: Kenneth Branagh, Derek Jacobi, Lynn Redgrave, Patrick Stewart, Jeremy Northam...it's wonderful, I highly recommend it. It's about $70 at our local Borders, but more like $50 on Amazon.

          Debra Murphy
          www.debramurphy.com
          www.themysteryofthings.com
          idyllist.blogspot.com

          From: "Hugh Davis" <HughHDavis@...>

          Signup at www.doteasy.com
        • Hugh Davis
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 26, 2005
            Sounds interesting--this is simply narrated by different actors, or are the
            parts played by different actors?

            Hugh

            >From: "Debra Murphy" <debra@...>
            >To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>, <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Narnia in Adaptation
            >Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:08:31 -0800
            >
            >My daugher and I are listening to the Narnia audiobook with a different
            >reader for each book: Kenneth Branagh, Derek Jacobi, Lynn Redgrave, Patrick
            >Stewart, Jeremy Northam...it's wonderful, I highly recommend it. It's
            >about $70 at our local Borders, but more like $50 on Amazon.
            >
            >Debra Murphy
            >www.debramurphy.com
            >www.themysteryofthings.com
            >idyllist.blogspot.com

            >From: "Hugh Davis" <HughHDavis@...>
            >
            > >Is it possible to see the 1967 BBC series on LWW? I'm interested both in
            > >seeing it and hearing the BBC Radio adaptation of the entire Chronicles.
            >Can
            > >list members recommend ways to get ahold of the two?
            > >
            > >Thanks,
            > >Hugh Davis

            >$0 Web Hosting with up to 200MB web space, 1000 MB Transfer
            >10 Personalized POP and Web E-mail Accounts, and much more.
            >Signup at www.doteasy.com

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 26, 2005
              From: "Debra Murphy" <debra@...>

              > My daugher and I are listening to the Narnia audiobook with a different
              reader for each book: Kenneth Branagh, Derek Jacobi, Lynn Redgrave, Patrick
              Stewart, Jeremy Northam...it's wonderful, I highly recommend it. It's about
              $70 at our local Borders, but more like $50 on Amazon.

              It's so nice that you're doing that and NOT "waiting for the movie" :)

              Diamond Proudbrook.
            • Debra Murphy
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 26, 2005
                Way too late for that, having first read it so many years ago! But we
                like to listen to audiobooks while working in our shared workspace.
                Then we pass the good ones on to my husband, who listens while he
                walks to/from work, about 21/2 miles away.

                But we're both looking forward to the movie, too, especially seeing as
                how Brian Cox, a favorite, is the voice of Aslan, and WETA is doing
                the SFX. It never replaces the books, but should be fun.

                Signup at www.doteasy.com
              • Hugh Davis
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 26, 2005
                  I've been listening to the "Focus on the Family" audio adaptations, hosted
                  by Douglas Gresham. I've been enjoying them as a reentry into Narnia after
                  several years since I read the novels. I do find David Suchet's Aslan at
                  times slightly laboured, but they are good fun to listen to while driving
                  certainly.

                  How do the "Focus on the Family" compare with the BBC Radio versions?

                  I, too, am looking forward, with a little concern, to the Narnia films. If
                  done "right," I think they'll be great, but I have some fears about too much
                  tinkering. I recently saw an item on a toy line for the film, for example,
                  and the toys were a centaur and minotaur--in there, sure, but not the first
                  figures I'd unveil.

                  Hugh

                • Debra Murphy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 26, 2005

                    Signup at www.doteasy.com
                  • Debra Murphy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 27, 2005
                      I'm afraid I haven't heard the "Focus" audiobooks, so I can't
                      compare...anyone else?

                      Debra Murphy

                      Signup at www.doteasy.com
                    • Carl F. Hostetter
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 27, 2005
                        Not on this list, Debra. You'll just have to go an listen to them all
                        yourself. In fact, according to Bill West, you shouldn't even be asking
                        this question since you haven't listened to them.

                        Sorry! Better luck on some other list.

                        Carl

                        On Mar 27, 2005, at 6:55 PM, Debra Murphy wrote:

                        > I'm afraid I haven't heard the "Focus" audiobooks, so I can't
                        > compare...anyone else?
                        >
                        > Debra Murphy

                      • Bill West
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 27, 2005
                          Carl. that's not what I meant and you know it...
                          Oh wait...maybe it IS what I meant, because you said it is.
                          Nevermind.There's no point to it.
                          I'll just go back into my foxhole over here.
                          So much for an Easter moratorium, eh?
                          > Not on this list, Debra. You'll just have to go an listen to them all
                          > yourself. In fact, according to Bill West, you shouldn't even be asking
                          > this question since you haven't listened to them.
                          >
                          > Sorry! Better luck on some other list.
                          >
                          > Carl
                          >

                          > On Mar 27, 2005, at 6:55 PM, Debra Murphy wrote:
                          >

                          > > I'm afraid I haven't heard the "Focus" audiobooks, so I can't
                          > > compare...anyone else?
                          > >
                          > > Debra Murphy

                        • Carl F. Hostetter
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 27, 2005
                            On Mar 27, 2005, at 11:34 PM, Bill West wrote:

                            > Carl. that's not what I meant and you know it...

                            Do I?

                            > Oh wait...maybe it IS what I meant, because you said it is.

                            I NEVER ask anyone to believe something I say simply because I say it.
                            If I make a claim, I back it up with evidence; and if I don't, then I
                            welcome and have the courtesy to respond to requests for evidence.

                            Sound familiar? Oh wait, no, I guess it doesn't. Never mind.