Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Summer Study in Oxford]

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2000
      Thank you, Mr. Wagner. I thought that the subjects were merely too rich for
      my blood. I like your opinion better.

      And if I hear a few more folks agree that the "sequels" to Screwtape aren't
      worth rushing out to read, I won't either. I think I just saw a review of
      one, andit looked tempting. But that's commercials for you ;-)

      I did just acquire a few interesting things: Meiron Pennar's selected
      translations from The Black Book of Carmarthen, which was not alllll that
      exciting, but interesting enough for me to order a book of his Taliesin poems
      and a Welsh/English dictionary from the same source, also the third Harry
      Potter book, and a Connie Willis book whose name escapes me but it was
      something along the lines of Domesday. Can't wait. Smorgasbord time.

      Lizzie
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2000
        In a message dated 4/13/00 12:47:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        > "Rector of Exeter College". Wow. That's the head of the college. What
        > would Tolkien have thought of a woman at the head of his old college?
        > (What would _Lewis_ have thought?)

        Oh, I dono. Lewis had cordial relations with many academic women & respected
        their abilities. And come to think of it, Lewis was not the hottest speller
        in the world, maybe =he= would have written "Jane Austin" upon occasion :)

        Mary S
      • LSolarion@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 16, 2000
          In a message dated 04/12/2000 5:21:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          <<
          Have any of you read any of the continuations of _The Screwtape Letters_
          written by other authors? I've read three of them, and they all stink.
          They
          consist of the authors whining about how they don't like someone else's
          politics. They make you appreciate what a good writer Lewis was. He wrote
          about sins that anyone, and especially Lewis himself, could commit.

          I have only read one, and I agree with Wendell's opinion. Lewis wrote on at
          least two occasions that he didn't believe in lecturing others on how to
          resist temptations to which he himself was not subject. It would be an easier
          world for evangelization (not to mention other things) if more Christians
          followed his advice. (And yes, moralizing is a temptation of mine, as this
          notice in itself will attest. Quite a nice bundle of paradoxes, eh?)