Re: Screwtape

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2005
      Speaking of Screwtape, two comments. (1) The essay "Screwtape Proposes a
      Toast" is more sociological than the book is. (2) I wish someone would do
      an annotated checklist of the Screwtape imitations. I realize that no one
      could catch them all, but a large number could be run down--both the books
      and the individual works. Years ago, I thought I'd do such a thing; but
      since I retired I find I'm busier than ever and seem very unlikely to ever
      get to this project. The point of doing it--at least from my
      perspective--would be simply to provide clear evidence of the influence of
      Lewis on later writers in one specific area; Lewis, for all practical
      purposes, invented a genre. (That most of the imitators are not as clever
      as Lewis is neither here nor there for this purpose. None of the imitators
      back in the 18th century of Gulliver's Travels were as clever as Swift.)

      --Joe