SUCCARATH article found

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10 1:58 AM
      Here we go:

      Ranger Rick Nature Magazine, unfortunately undated, minus cover & initial
      pages and without identifying footer marks.

      Early 1970s, very early I think.

      page 18 Mythical Monsters, Drawings and Story by Rudolf Freund

      Of course the Su illustration is across the middle of the page. I will see
      about copying or scanning it another day, as to do that here in my
      passthrough scanner would requiring doing even more injury to the old mag.

      Here is the blurb:

      THE SU or Succarath, is described in a "natural history" of the 1600's as "a
      most cruel, fierce beast." It had the head of a woman, the forelegs of a
      tiger and the hind legs of a wolf. Its voice was a horrible screech. Its
      young had the head of a frog. They sat on the parent's back beneath the
      umbrella of its broad tail that was like a palm leaf. The Su lived near the
      southernmost tip of South America. When caught in a deep pit dug by hunters,
      it immediately destroyed its young so they could never be raised in
      captivity."

      It is the biggest picture and the first blurb. It is followed by the
      Basilisk (a fourlegged crowned green reptilian thing, holding a mirror and
      turning its face so neither the reader nor the mirror can see it. Odd I
      thought I remembered it having 6 legs, what became of the other two? LOL);
      the Gorgon (the bull or "oxlike" variety); the Griffin (of course); and the
      Unicorn.

      Lizzie
    • Julia Palffy
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24 5:17 AM
        Hello again to all!

        I know I'm taking up this thread rather late (my computer crashed a few
        weeks ago and I am now busy catching up reading my E-mail), but I wanted to
        contribute some information:

        I have a copy (French paperback) of Borges' book on mythical creatures It's
        one of my favourites, and, I think, one of the most complete fantasy
        bestiaries I know of. It includes descriptions of traditional mythical
        beasts like the unicorn (both eastern kirin and western unicorns of various
        descriptions), several dragons, Ouroboros, sphinx, manticore and so on, more
        'folklorical' creatures like the Loch Ness Monster and the Yeti, as well as
        literary ones - notably including C.S. Lewis's singing beast from
        Perelandra. It's an excellent read and well-documented. Although my copy
        does not have any illustrations at all, the text gives enough information to
        imagine the creatures pretty vividly... I hope those of you who want to read
        it will be able to find a copy.

        For those who are interested, I remember seeing once a periodical called
        "Cryptozoology" - i.e. that particular branch of science which deals with
        searching for and trying to prove the existence of the Loch Ness Monster,
        the Yeti and others of that ilk.

        Since I can't locate my copy of Borges at the moment, this is what I
        remember "off the top of my head", but I hope it will be of use.

        Regards,

        Julia Palffy
        Zug, Switzerland
        jupalffy@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24 3:03 PM
          In a message dated 4/24/00 7:22:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
          jupalffy@... writes:

          > I have a copy (French paperback) of Borges' book on mythical creatures

          Julia, when you get your hands on it, =do= let us know if it includes the
          Succarath.

          Mary S
        • Julia Palffy
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25 12:03 PM
            Hello!

            Well, I did eventually find my copy of Borges - right in front of my nose,
            of course...

            Sorry, no succarath in it (even under another name...), though there is a
            wealth of other mythical animals, with the sources describing them - and not
            one, but two by C.S. Lewis...

            Still a recommendable read, nevertheless...

            Julia Palffy
            Zug, Switzerland
            jupalffy@...