Books from Ignatius

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2000
      No guarantees - I haven't read any of them.

      <A HREF="http://www.ignatius.com/">Ignatius Press - A leading Catholic Book
      Publisher (home page)</A>

      Tolkien: Man and Myth
      Joseph Pearce
      J.R.R. Tolkien is one of the most popular writers of our age. His Lord of the
      Rings was voted the greatest book of the century in several British surveys.
      This major new study of his life and his work explores the background of the
      man and the culture in which he wrote, and his relationships with other great
      literary writers, including C.S. Lewis.
      257 pp, Sewn Hardcover, $24.95

      Wisdom and Innocence
      Joseph Pearce
      Through years of meticulous research and access to the literary estate of
      G.K. Chesterton, Joseph Pearce presents a major biography of a 20th century
      literary giant, providing much important information on GKC never before
      published. A thoroughly delightful biography. Illustrated.
      536 pp, Sewn Softcover, $19.95

      Literary Converts
      Joseph Pearce
      Literary Converts is a biographical exploration into the spiritual lives of
      some of the greatest writers in the English language: Oscar Wilde, Evelyn
      Waugh, C.S. Lewis, Malcolm Muggeridge, Graham Greene, Edith Sitwell,
      Siegfried Sassoon, Hilaire Belloc, G.K. Chesterton, Dorothy Sayers, T.S.
      Eliot and J.R.R. Tolkien. The role of George Bernard Shaw and H.G. Wells in
      intensifying the religious debate despite not being converts themselves is
      also considered.

      Many will be intrigued to know more about what inspired their literary
      heroes; others will find the association of such names with Christian belief
      surprising or even controversial. Whatever viewpoint we may have, Literary
      Converts touches on some of the most important questions of the twentieth
      century, making it a fascinating read.

      Sewn Hardcover, $24.95
      Length: 464 pages
      Item: LITC-H
      ISBN: 089870-790-0
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 22, 2001
        http://www.ignatius.com tel . 1-800-651-1531

        Cat. No. HTOG-P
        "THE HIDDEN TREASURE OF GLASTON, Eleanore M. Jewett; Illustrated by
        Frederick Chapman

        "Amidst great mystery, Hugh is left in the care of Glastonbury Abbey by his
        father who must flee England too swiftly to be burdened by a crippled son.
        Ashamed of his physical weakness, yet possessed of a stout heart, Hugh finds
        that life at the abbey is surprisingly full in this year 1171, in the
        turbulent days of King Henry II. Hugh, his friend Dickon and their strange
        friend, the mad Bleheris, uncover a treasure trove and with it a deeper
        mystery of the sort that could only occur in Glastonbury where Joseph of
        Arimithea was said to have lived out his last years. Before all is done, more
        is resolved than Hugh could ever have hoped. A Newbery Honor winner.

        "Quality Softcover "

        This was a childhood favorite that I'm happy to see in print again. Not a
        fantasy, but great for lovers of Arthuriana - and their children.

        I note that Ignatius' sponsored series of "Bethlehem Books," which seem to be
        reprints of older books for children, mostly historical fiction, also
        includes one by Andre' Norton, not generally considered a Catholic author :)
        It's a tale of ancient Egypt, titled SHADOW HAWK. Not on the web page, but
        listed in the catalog as catalog no. SHAH-P.

        There is also an illustrated and annotated edn. of Chesterton's BALLAD OF THE
        WHITE HORSE.

        Mary S