New Screwtape

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 94 , Mar 22, 2005
      Not a "letter," but still a rather clever Screwtape pastiche.

      http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/gurdon200503220755.asp

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 94 of 94 , Mar 28, 2005
        On Mar 28, 2005, at 3:23 PM, Rateliff, John wrote:

        > Actually, my response to a statement like that would depend upon who
        > made it, and in what context (I always look at context).

        Hm, yes, except when you prefer to trim important context from
        someone's quote to make it appear as though they said something they
        didn't actually say.

        > There's nothing inherently absurd about such a claim,

        Just as there was nothing inherently absurd in what it seemed to me you
        were claiming about Lewis.

        > However, since your sample scenario contradicts what Tolkien himself
        > said, there'd have to be compelling evidence before I'd adopt it.

        AGAIN, just my point: but when I asked you for evidence, I was told
        roundly that I had no right to ask, and that instead I should just be
        quiet and go read everything Lewis wrote myself to find the (in fact
        non-existent) evidence I was asking for.

        > Who made the claim, and whether or not I respected that person's
        > opinion, would also play a part.

        As it did for me.