Re: [mythsoc] Six meals a day

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 16, 2005
      In a message dated 3/16/2005 9:36:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      john.rateliff@... writes:

      Personally, while it's not at all Tolkienesque, I've always liked "tiffin",
      which I learned out of Joseph Conrad, as a name for a between-meal meal.

      It's actually mostly an Anglo-Indian word (i.e., in the dialect of English
      spoken in India). I first heard it several years ago and assumed that it was
      one of those terms borrowed by the British from an Indian language during the
      Raj period and brought back to the U.K. a hundred years ago or so. There
      were a number of such words, and they tend to sound a little old-fashioned now
      when spoken by a Brit. Surprisingly, "tiffin" comes from a now uncommon
      slang term in English, not from an Indian language. There's an Indian restaurant
      several miles from me, in Hyattsville, Maryland, that's named "Tiffin".