  • Staci Dumoski
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2000
      Phantastes, the Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism
      Spring 2000, Volume 2, No. 2
      "Villains and the Problem of evil"

      ORSON SCOTT CARD: ON RELIGION IN FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION "Most of the
      time, in and out of speculative fiction, religion simply doesn't exist.
      Characters don't believe in God or even think about believing in God. Nobody
      talks about religion. Nobody belongs to any kind of church. Religion simply
      doesn't exist. In my judgment, this is exactly parallel to the way sex was
      dealt with in most fiction prior to the 1950s. It goes on all around us, but
      you'd never know it from the fiction." --An interview by Moira Allen
      http://www.phantastes.com/00spring/interview.html

      JEFFREY FORD: THE MIS-MEASURE OF A MAN "When you watch the movie of The
      Wizard of Oz, you may wonder what the wicked witch's childhood was like, but
      the fact that you don't know doesn't ruin the story. When those ghastly
      monkeys fly, you don't stop to think, "I bet they're so mean because they
      weren't properly house trained." What you think is, "Move your ass Dorothy,
      the monkey's are coming." If a villain seems poorly realized the reason is
      that the writer didn't draw from the hero the appropriate grain of sand for
      the oyster that will be the story." --An interview by Staci Ann Dumoski
      http://www.phantastes.com/00spring/ford.html

      WHITHER THE BADGUY? "With the benefit of several millennia of civilisation
      behind us, we no longer believe that the simple imposition of order over
      chaos is necessary to put the world to rights. Change is an essential part
      of the universe, and if we remove it from our lives we simply stagnate and
      wither away. Order is necessary to give us time to think and experiment, to
      give our children a chance to grow, but no single pattern of existence will
      remain forever." --By Cheryl Morgan
      http://www.phantastes.com/00spring/badguy.html

      SHADES OF GREY "What forces generate hatred? What isolates a person so much
      as to become a megalomaniac? Most importantly, what makes the villain more
      receptive to these forces than the rest of that world? Answering these
      questions can make a villain the most engaging part of a story, giving him
      or her a history while establishing a context for the conflict." --By Matt
      Beckham
      http://www.phantastes.com/00spring/shades.html

      THE BEST VILLAINS "If fantasy deals with the basic substance of myth, the
      most inherent mythos of English-speaking peoples and the West is the
      Christian one. The ideas of good and evil are themselves religious ones:
      they pre-suppose a collective morality." --By Bill Renk
      http://www.phantastes.com/00spring/commentary.html

      WRITING AN ORIGINAL FAIRY TALES "Fairytales are not delicate, wimpish
      things. They are strong, robust‹sometimes even brutal‹often terrifying,
      often awesome, often funny or witty. They are an expression of deep soul
      and, as such, are sources of strength and wonder for everyone, not just
      children." --By Sophie Masson
      http://www.phantastes.com/00spring/fairytales.com

      WRITING ACTION SCENES "This is the substance of the scene that made you
      sweat. It made your fingers tremble as you tried to convey these thoughts,
      images, and emotions into words. Put them in, they will make your reader
      feel the same." --By Caleb Andrus
      http://www.phantastes.com/00spring/action.html

      Also be sure to see......

      Phantastes Short Fiction Contest -- Deadline May 31, 2000
      http://www.phantastes.com/contest.html

      Books At Phantastes -- Support Phantastes by buying books at Amazon.com
      http://www.phantastes.com/books/

      Submission Guidelines -- Upcoming issues and manuscript guidelines
      http://www.phantastes.com/submissions.html

      Phantastes, the Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism

      ***Please forward this message to interested parties***