Edward Eager (was: H.R. Millar & Pauline Baynes)

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2005
      Paul Labaki wrote:

      > I'm not familiar with Eager, Berni, but you've
      > intrigued me. I'm going to have to read some.
      >
      > It has always seemed to me that magic is so ethereal
      > that it should be very difficult to work and a bit
      > prone to go off by a bit, as so many human efforts do.
      > Magic has to be tougher than hitting a major league
      > curveball, so shouldn't a .300 average be pretty darn
      > good for even an above average wizard? Yet most
      > storybook magic seems to be completed successfully,
      > very very often the first time it is attempted. In
      > many stories its every time it is attempted. I think
      > I would like a world where magic is possible, but
      > somewhat unpredictable.

      I don't think it's entirely off the mark to liken the magic in
      Eager (and to some degree in Nesbit, who was his role model) to
      computers, in that you have to be careful what you tell it to do,
      because it will do EXACTLY what you tell it (as modified by its
      own particular rules of operation). And then you have to deal
      with the consequences.

      > Any suggestions on what Eager to begin with?

      I don't know that you could do better than beginning with HALF
      MAGIC, which AFAIK was Eager's first, and also doesn't come in
      the middle of any sequences.

      KNIGHT'S CASTLE is funnier if you've previously read Nesbit's THE
      MAGIC CITY, and presumably being familiar with IVANHOE also
      helps.

      That's it for my advice... :)

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>