Re: [mythsoc] Karen Wynn Fonstad

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2005
      That's sad news for me also, though I never met her.

      Fonstad was a careful cartographer who brought imagination and
      understanding to clarifying Tolkien's geographical imagination. Her work
      on the journeys in LOTR was less detailed than Barbara Strachey's, but
      (without criticizing Strachey) Fonstad had a better intuitive understanding
      of Tolkien's intent. And, of course, she plunged in to the Elder Days and
      the further reaches of Arda fearlessly.

      That Fonstad could take the same care with other fantasy-land writers as
      diverse as Donaldson and McCaffrey is a tribute to her love for imaginary
      geography wherever it could be found.

      David Bratman