Re: [mythsoc] Help Please!

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 13, 2005
      In a message dated 3/13/2005 10:51:26 PM Central Standard Time,
      billie_knght@... writes:
      I am doing a thesis on C.S. Lewis and his influence on todays authors
      of children's fantasy. Does anyone know of authors who have been
      quoted as saying they were influenced by him? I keep reading he has
      influenced many but I'm having a hard time finding out who exactly.

      Thanks for any help.
      ---

      Neil Gaiman, for one. Check the Mythsoc website for his guest of honor speech.

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 14, 2005
        Well, Neil Gaiman, for one -- at his guest of honor speech at Mythson
        last year, he particularly cited Tolkien, Lewis, and Chesterton as
        influences. His sppech was reproduced in Mythprint October 2004, v. 41
        #10p. 3-5.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        I am doing a thesis on C.S. Lewis and his influence on todays authors of
        children's fantasy. Does anyone know of authors who have been quoted as
        saying they were influenced by him? I keep reading he has influenced
        many but I'm having a hard time finding out who exactly.

        Thanks for any help.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM

        Links
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 14, 2005
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 14, 2005
            Billie: You might try this L'Engle book to see what she says, if anything:

            ' The Chronicles of Narnia were controversial for C.S. Lewis; is it no
            wonder that L'Engle is often referred to as a "female C.S. Lewis"? She knows
            that she is in good company. In The Rock That is Higher, L'Engle admits that
            "many of the writers to whom I turn are committed Christians, because it
            takes a firm grounding in the love of God for a writer to go into the
            darkest depths of the human heart." '

            You might also address Perry Bramlett, whose webpage with e-mail is here:

            http://www.win.net/~pbramlett/

            He gives a course called

            "C. S. Lewis: A Mind and Heart for Everyone", an overview of testimonies
            from people who have been influenced and/or 'won to the faith' by the life
            and works of Lewis, including Charles Colson, Madeleine L'Engle, Margaret
            Thatcher, Kathryn Lindskoog, Eldredge Cleaver, Thaniel Armistead, Sheldon
            and 'Davy' Vanuaken, and others - 1 session

            I wonder if Lloyd Alexander was influenced by Lewis.

            Philip Pullman was influenced in a negative direction.

            I am not sure whether J.K. Rowling has ever mentioned Lewis as an influence,
            but she may have. This site says

            http://www.homestead.com/crazyaboutharrypotter/JKbio.html

            " Her most admired authors as a kid were E. Nesbit, Paul Gallico, and C.S.
            Lewis. "

            but I would look for a better source.

            HTH,

            Diamond Proudbrook
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 15, 2005
              In a message dated 3/13/2005 11:51:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              billie_knght@... writes:

              > I am doing a thesis on C.S. Lewis and his influence on todays authors
              > of children's fantasy. Does anyone know of authors who have been
              > quoted as saying they were influenced by him? I keep reading he has
              > influenced many but I'm having a hard time finding out who exactly.

              It depends what you mean by today's authors. The authors who were most
              influenced by the Narnia books were those who were read the books when they came
              out or at least not long afterwards. They thus tend to be at least 50 years
              old now. Some, like Madeleine L'Engle (born 1918), were already adults when
              the Narnia books came out. I was surprised to discover how much Neil Gaiman
              (born 1960) was a fan of Lewis and Tolkien. He talked about this in his
              speech at Mythcon last year. I wasn't as surprised by the fact that he was also
              a fan of Chesterton, since he makes references to Chesterton in his writings.

              There were a number of children's fantasies published in the 1970's and
              1980's which were not particularly good imitations of Narnia. These tended to be
              published by Christian publishing houses and only sold in Christian book
              stores. The fantasy authors who started publishing in the last 15 years appear
              to not be influenced by Lewis so much. Even Philip Pullman, who claimed to
              be writing an anti-Narnia, doesn't actually sound much like Lewis. I suspect
              that Lewis is now only one influence among many for most recent children's
              fantasy authors.

            • Rateliff, John
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005

                I don't think Lewis has had much influence on modern children's fantasy. The main exception I can think of is Ruth Nichols' excellent book A WALK OUT OF THE WORLD, which combines elements from Tolkien and Lewis very adroitly into a new whole. Highly recommended. Joy Chant's RED MOON BLACK MOUNTAIN also probably owes something to Lewis, but it's relatively muted. I don't think CSL had any influence on Lloyd Alexander, at least not on the Chronicles of Prydain, which comes directly from Welsh myth.
                One series very heavily derived from Narnia is Pamela Dean's THE SECRET COUNTRY (at least the first volume, which was all I could read; don't know if the second and third volumes follow suit).
                On the whole, I get the feeling that Lewis is becoming forgotten outside Xian circles and gaining more and more fame within them. In that context, Wendell's comment about stories and series inspired by Narnia being sold through Xian bookstores is interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a resurgence of this after the Disney film.

                --JDR

                What a strange, strange list. I think anyone doing a thesis would do well to avoid associating CSL with such controversial figures, except of course for L'Engle (an award-winning author).

                Who is Thaniel Armistead?