Help Please!

  • billie_knght
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 13, 2005
      I am doing a thesis on C.S. Lewis and his influence on todays authors
      of children's fantasy. Does anyone know of authors who have been
      quoted as saying they were influenced by him? I keep reading he has
      influenced many but I'm having a hard time finding out who exactly.

      Thanks for any help.
    • Walkermonk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 13, 2005
        In a message dated 3/13/2005 10:51:26 PM Central Standard Time,
        billie_knght@... writes:
        I am doing a thesis on C.S. Lewis and his influence on todays authors
        of children's fantasy. Does anyone know of authors who have been
        quoted as saying they were influenced by him? I keep reading he has
        influenced many but I'm having a hard time finding out who exactly.

        Thanks for any help.
        ---

        Neil Gaiman, for one. Check the Mythsoc website for his guest of honor speech.

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 14, 2005
          Well, Neil Gaiman, for one -- at his guest of honor speech at Mythson
          last year, he particularly cited Tolkien, Lewis, and Chesterton as
          influences. His sppech was reproduced in Mythprint October 2004, v. 41
          #10p. 3-5.

          Janet Brennan Croft

          I am doing a thesis on C.S. Lewis and his influence on todays authors of
          children's fantasy. Does anyone know of authors who have been quoted as
          saying they were influenced by him? I keep reading he has influenced
          many but I'm having a hard time finding out who exactly.

          Thanks for any help.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM

          Links
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 14, 2005
            From: "billie_knght" <billie_knght@...>

            > I am doing a thesis on C.S. Lewis and his influence on todays authors
            > of children's fantasy. Does anyone know of authors who have been
            > quoted as saying they were influenced by him? I keep reading he has
            > influenced many but I'm having a hard time finding out who exactly.

            I am sure Madeleine L'Engle would be counted, but can't lay my hand on a
            quote for you.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 14, 2005
              Billie: You might try this L'Engle book to see what she says, if anything:

              ' The Chronicles of Narnia were controversial for C.S. Lewis; is it no
              wonder that L'Engle is often referred to as a "female C.S. Lewis"? She knows
              that she is in good company. In The Rock That is Higher, L'Engle admits that
              "many of the writers to whom I turn are committed Christians, because it
              takes a firm grounding in the love of God for a writer to go into the
              darkest depths of the human heart." '

              You might also address Perry Bramlett, whose webpage with e-mail is here:

              http://www.win.net/~pbramlett/

              He gives a course called

              "C. S. Lewis: A Mind and Heart for Everyone", an overview of testimonies
              from people who have been influenced and/or 'won to the faith' by the life
              and works of Lewis, including Charles Colson, Madeleine L'Engle, Margaret
              Thatcher, Kathryn Lindskoog, Eldredge Cleaver, Thaniel Armistead, Sheldon
              and 'Davy' Vanuaken, and others - 1 session

              I wonder if Lloyd Alexander was influenced by Lewis.

              Philip Pullman was influenced in a negative direction.

              I am not sure whether J.K. Rowling has ever mentioned Lewis as an influence,
              but she may have. This site says

              http://www.homestead.com/crazyaboutharrypotter/JKbio.html

              " Her most admired authors as a kid were E. Nesbit, Paul Gallico, and C.S.
              Lewis. "

              but I would look for a better source.

              HTH,

              Diamond Proudbrook
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 15, 2005
                In a message dated 3/13/2005 11:51:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                billie_knght@... writes:

                > I am doing a thesis on C.S. Lewis and his influence on todays authors
                > of children's fantasy. Does anyone know of authors who have been
                > quoted as saying they were influenced by him? I keep reading he has
                > influenced many but I'm having a hard time finding out who exactly.

                It depends what you mean by today's authors. The authors who were most
                influenced by the Narnia books were those who were read the books when they came
                out or at least not long afterwards. They thus tend to be at least 50 years
                old now. Some, like Madeleine L'Engle (born 1918), were already adults when
                the Narnia books came out. I was surprised to discover how much Neil Gaiman
                (born 1960) was a fan of Lewis and Tolkien. He talked about this in his
                speech at Mythcon last year. I wasn't as surprised by the fact that he was also
                a fan of Chesterton, since he makes references to Chesterton in his writings.

                There were a number of children's fantasies published in the 1970's and
                1980's which were not particularly good imitations of Narnia. These tended to be
                published by Christian publishing houses and only sold in Christian book
                stores. The fantasy authors who started publishing in the last 15 years appear
                to not be influenced by Lewis so much. Even Philip Pullman, who claimed to
                be writing an anti-Narnia, doesn't actually sound much like Lewis. I suspect
                that Lewis is now only one influence among many for most recent children's
                fantasy authors.

              • Rateliff, John
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005

                  I don't think Lewis has had much influence on modern children's fantasy. The main exception I can think of is Ruth Nichols' excellent book A WALK OUT OF THE WORLD, which combines elements from Tolkien and Lewis very adroitly into a new whole. Highly recommended. Joy Chant's RED MOON BLACK MOUNTAIN also probably owes something to Lewis, but it's relatively muted. I don't think CSL had any influence on Lloyd Alexander, at least not on the Chronicles of Prydain, which comes directly from Welsh myth.
                  One series very heavily derived from Narnia is Pamela Dean's THE SECRET COUNTRY (at least the first volume, which was all I could read; don't know if the second and third volumes follow suit).
                  On the whole, I get the feeling that Lewis is becoming forgotten outside Xian circles and gaining more and more fame within them. In that context, Wendell's comment about stories and series inspired by Narnia being sold through Xian bookstores is interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a resurgence of this after the Disney film.

                  --JDR

                  What a strange, strange list. I think anyone doing a thesis would do well to avoid associating CSL with such controversial figures, except of course for L'Engle (an award-winning author).

                  Who is Thaniel Armistead?