A curious coincidence!

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10 1:13 PM
      I was looking through Walter E. Haigh's A New Glossary of the Dialect of
      the Huddersfield District, for which Tolkien wrote a foreword, and found
      that two people who had books on Tolkien and World War I come out within
      the same year -- yours truly and John Garth -- have last names that mean
      the same thing in this dialect (and elsewhere) -- an enclosed field or
      yard. Cue Twilight Zone music...

      Janet Brennan Croft