a fun snippet

  • Rateliff, John
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2005
      Here's something I came across yesterday that some might find amusing. It's from the letters column in the newest issue of the magazine ANIME INSIDER (April/May 2005, page 7):

      [the letter]
      Dear A.I.
      I was wondering what language they are singing in the opening theme song to Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? The closest relation that I could find was Tolkien's Elvish. I know it's not French, Japanese or German. Do you guys have any idea?
      Tegan C.
      Via cyberspace

      [the editor's answer]
      Lucky for you I'm a huge nerd so rather than giggle at you for immediately thinking that the song is sung in Sindarin, I instead cheer silently inside that someone else understands my love for all things Middle-Earth. <sic>
      Now that most of you have stopped reading, I'll answer the question. The opening theme, penned by the illustrious Yoko Kanno and titled "Inner Universe," is actually sung in Russian with a little Latin thrown in for good measure.

      I find it striking that Tolkien's becoming so ubiquitous in our culture that someone hearing an unfamiliar language (in this case, in a near-future cyberpunk setting) would immediately think "Elvish!" rather than assume it's a real-world language they just didn't know. What would Poe's Dupin do with that one?

      Also in recently noticed Tolkien-related trivia is that Ray Harryhausen at one time thought of making THE HOBBIT as a stop-action animated film. Sorry if this is something that's come up on the list before; it was new to me. I'm grateful he abandoned the project.

      --JDR