Re: [mythsoc] name recognition

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2005
      From: "Rateliff, John" <john.rateliff@...>

      > > " Some famous Christian teachers include Paul of Tarsus, Clement of
      Rome,
      > > Ignatius of Antioch, Augustine of Hippo, Athanasius of Alexandria, Saint
      > > Patrick, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, John Calvin, John Knox, Jonathan
      > > Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, J. R. R. Tolkien, and C.S. Lewis. "
      > >
      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian
      > >

      > Hmm. Interesting. I'd say Tolkien's is the one name that doesn't belong on
      the list: a Christian and a
      >teacher but not a "Christian teacher". If the author had just said "Some
      famous Christians include"
      >then I'd say he or she had it right.

      That's exactly what I said. Wikipedia is freely edited by all participants,
      and someone I know took Tolkien off at my suggestion, and somebody else
      immediately put him back! I haven't checked back to see how things are
      going; I fear the addictive quality of Wikipedia.

      The person who put him back thought (mistakenly) that Tolkien had been
      removed due to his Catholicism.

      Diamond Proudbrook