RE: [mythsoc] name recognition

  • Rateliff, John
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2005
      > From: Stolzi
      > Someone has contributed the following paragraph to Wikipedia's article on
      > the word CHRISTIAN:
      >
      > " Some famous Christian teachers include Paul of Tarsus, Clement of Rome,
      > Ignatius of Antioch, Augustine of Hippo, Athanasius of Alexandria, Saint
      > Patrick, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, John Calvin, John Knox, Jonathan
      > Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, J. R. R. Tolkien, and C.S. Lewis. "
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian

      Hmm. Interesting. I'd say Tolkien's is the one name that doesn't belong on the list: a Christian and a teacher but not a "Christian teacher". If the author had just said "Some famous Christians include" then I'd say he or she had it right.

      --JDR

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2005
        From: "Rateliff, John" <john.rateliff@...>

        > > " Some famous Christian teachers include Paul of Tarsus, Clement of
        Rome,
        > > Ignatius of Antioch, Augustine of Hippo, Athanasius of Alexandria, Saint
        > > Patrick, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, John Calvin, John Knox, Jonathan
        > > Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, J. R. R. Tolkien, and C.S. Lewis. "
        > >
        > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian
        > >

        > Hmm. Interesting. I'd say Tolkien's is the one name that doesn't belong on
        the list: a Christian and a
        >teacher but not a "Christian teacher". If the author had just said "Some
        famous Christians include"
        >then I'd say he or she had it right.

        That's exactly what I said. Wikipedia is freely edited by all participants,
        and someone I know took Tolkien off at my suggestion, and somebody else
        immediately put him back! I haven't checked back to see how things are
        going; I fear the addictive quality of Wikipedia.

        The person who put him back thought (mistakenly) that Tolkien had been
        removed due to his Catholicism.

        Diamond Proudbrook