Where to Start with George R.R. Martin?

  • Caryn Sobel
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6 4:17 PM
      Katie Glick:

      <I like George R.R. Martin because not only does the
      world he has created feel as deep and real as Middle Earth ever did to
      me, but also because the story has depth and it feels real to me, like
      it's going somewhere I can enjoy.>

      I'm new to choosing mythopoeic literature. Other than the Inklings, I've
      never consciously chosen any modern writers of the genre. Reading _Mythago
      Woods_ this past winter was my first introduction (and source of some vivid
      dreams for a few weeks!)

      Would anyone like to recommend a good "first" Martin book to read? My
      library has _Windhaven_ and _Sandkings_. Are either of those a good place to
      start?

      Thanks.

      Caryn Sobel
    • karlstar2
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7 2:29 AM
        "Sandkings" is a collection of short stories, so if you are looking
        for a first full novel to read, that's not the place to start. On the
        other hand, several of the stories are excellent. Martin's other
        works are not similiar to The Song of Ice and Fire, this series is
        quite a departure for him.

      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7 8:09 AM
          Without a doubt, start with *Windhaven.* Though it's more SF, it has a
          mythic feel. *Sandkings* (I think) is an anthology of short stories, and
          the title tale is classic---but very scary. Find *Fevre Dream* if you can.
          You will not be sorry. SF Book Club has new printings. ---djb

          <I like George R.R. Martin because not only does the
          world he has created feel as deep and real as Middle Earth ever did to
          me, but also because the story has depth and it feels real to me, like
          it's going somewhere I can enjoy.>

          I'm new to choosing mythopoeic literature. Other than the Inklings,
          I've
          never consciously chosen any modern writers of the genre. Reading _Mythago
          Woods_ this past winter was my first introduction (and source of some vivid
          dreams for a few weeks!)

          Would anyone like to recommend a good "first" Martin book to read? My
          library has _Windhaven_ and _Sandkings_. Are either of those a good place
          start?

          Thanks.

          Caryn Sobel

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7 9:02 AM
            In a message dated 3/6/5 11:16:31 PM, Caryn Sobel wrote:

            <<Would anyone like to recommend a good "first" Martin book to read? My

            library has _Windhaven_ and _Sandkings_. Are either of those a good place to

            start?>>

            While George RR Martin has always been an outstanding sf writer, I don't
            think any of his previous work closely resembles or even suggests what he's been
            doing in _A Song of Ice and Fire_.
            Alexei
          • Caryn Sobel
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7 10:46 AM
              Thanks, everyone. I think I'll start with _Windhaven_, and then try the
              first of the series. If the writing is very different between his two kinds
              of work, I'd better try one of each.

              Caryn Sobel