Re: [mythsoc] On the trail of the Succarath....

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 12:08 PM
      In a message dated 4/1/00 12:33:19 PM Central Standard Time,
      ERATRIANO@... writes:

      > I swear one of these days I'm going to
      > write a story where the baptismal smear of that scented oil comes ablaze
      at
      > critical moments. I mean, the ghost of that mark on an adult from his or
      > her
      > baptism in infanthood. Not the poor baby's head going afire. Or has that
      > already been done in some Inkling-type literature and I've missed it...?

      Lizzie, in one of certified Inkling Charles Williams' novels you will find a
      (non-fiery) scene in which a Baptism does exactly that: comes to life at a
      critical moment. Now... which novel is it? Help, other listies!

      It would be a shame if Borges =didn't= include the Succarath, being that it
      was supposedly seen in his very own country. And the story of the
      Megatherium skeleton being sent to the Spanish King (and the King's request)
      would have been right down JLB's alley. He Loooved that kind of thing.
      However, a Book of Imaginary Beings might be more along humanoid lines and
      not include Imaginary Beasts. Anyone who can lay their hands on this book?

      This one sounds =wonderful= from the title:

      <<Page, Michael & Ingpen, Robert, _Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were_.

      Mary S