On the trail of the Succarath....

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 10:32 AM
      Below are some books that I most wonder if they might have anything on the
      Succarath. Does anyone have any of these titles on hand that they could
      check? (Yes, it's very rare indeed that I leave the kids home and do stuff,
      and when I do it's not generally fun research.) I am jsut picking the titles
      that "speak to me" from the bibliography of the Basilisk article.

      Borges, Jorge Luis. _The Book of Imaginary Beings_. Buenos Aires: Editorial
      Kier S.A. 1969.

      Lucan, _Pharsalia_. Trans. J.D. Duff. Cambridge. Harvard University Press,
      1928. (I am not familiar with this bestiary, if it predates our Patagonian
      critter by a whole lot, let's skip it.)

      Nigg, Joseph ed. _The Book of Fabulous Beasts_. Oxford: Oxford University
      Press, 1999.

      Page, Michael & Ingpen, Robert, _Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were_.
      New York: Penguin Putnam Inc., 1985.

      South, Malcolm ed. _Mythical and Fabulous Creatures: A Source Book and
      Research Guide._ New York: Greenwood Press. 1987.

      Thompson, C J S. _The Mystery and Lore of Monsters_. Williams & Norgate
      Ltd. 1930.

      Oh, LOL, maybe I should write to Ms. Rowling, see if she's heard of it. And
      this seems to me just the sort of critter that Frazetta could have portrayed
      for, uh, what's his name, the Carter of Mars and Carson of Venus fellow...?

      Boy, I sure miss college, and reading the literature and poetry of ages where
      seemed to me the walls between the worlds were not so solid. I love the
      scene in Mallory where, what was it? the demon(s) stood back from Galahad
      because he was surrounded by angels. I swear one of these days I'm going to
      write a story where the baptismal smear of that scented oil comes ablaze at
      critical moments. I mean, the ghost of that mark on an adult from his or her
      baptism in infanthood. Not the poor baby's head going afire. Or has that
      already been done in some Inkling-type literature and I've missed it...?

      Lizzierambler