If we want people to feel the books are beneficial, shouldn't we seem the better for them?

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2005
      It's getting a bit thick in here. I like books over other media also, and
      like Bonnie or someone has posted recently, I don't like the fact that
      literature is taking the back seat to many other things, but I think it's
      happening with or without my permission. It might be naive of me, but I
      can't think that we will impress any Gen-X or other minds with the vast
      benefits of reading over electronic media if we act like a bunch of
      squabbling preteens and call each other nasty names.

      Of course, I am the flippant chick who posts about action figures and
      personal acquisition of magical gemstones, so maybe I'm off the mythie
      track here also.

      I know that if, when I had looked up "Mythopoeic," and found this online
      environment, and when I was fresher from having more reading time, or even
      immersed in reading, and found this kind of juvenile nastiness, instead of
      the discussions on language that were ongoing when I did first join, I
      would have run the other direction and warned every other bibliophile I
      knew as well.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2005
        Um, we won't go into my action figure collection (LotR, Babylon5, Star
        Wars, and Yellow Submarine) which is taking over the tops of bookcases
        (we never put books up there (too high and dusty)) and the top of my
        living room couch (again a bad place for books, they fall off). The
        bookcases are already crammed with books. The DVD shelves are crammed
        with DVDs (mostly SF&F, science and Disney). <g>

        Oh, I also helped form the LotR-Costume list, just because I love the
        thought of finally making something sometime. In my non-existent spare time.

        But I usually don't let that much of that show in this list.

        Great fantasy usually comes in books. But fun stuff comes from all over
        the place. And we should try to keep it in proportion and remember to
        have fun.

        Currently, I'm just glad that the next Harry Potter movie did some
        filming at Oxford. I can drag the boys there and Little Harold won't be
        too annoyed. See New College before it shows up on the screen. And a
        side trip the Eagle and the Child!

        Lisa, who spends way too much money in the bookstore and the toy store
        (Amazon loves me.)