Re: Digest Number 30

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 1999
      Nagy Gergely wrote:

      > From: Nagy Gergely <lamorak@....u-szeged.hu>
      >
      > Sorry to everyone I might have misled,
      > I have just got my own messages in the digests and have to apologize for a
      > typing error: I intended to say that we *shouldn't* turn this fiald into
      > an esoteric something inside whiich we can safely iignore current
      > theoretical issues.
      > Anyway, I'm quite disappointed that nobody reacted on those. If that's
      > because you've already discussed thiings like that, let me know. I'm
      > really curious to hear your opinions about my views.

      Let's see if I understand you. You'd like to look at fantastic texts
      like Tolkien's using current literarary criticism. I have to admit out
      front that I don't like post-structuralism much, especially dislike the
      deconstructionists, and think that the seamless integrity of a work like
      Tolkien's is especially unsympathetic to such readings. Perhaps if you
      could explain a little about your own literary critical / philosophic
      stance, we might be able to begin a discussion. ---djb.
    • Tom & Maria T
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 1999
        Nagy Gergely wrote:

        "Anyway, I'm quite disappointed that nobody reacted on those. If that's
        because you've already discussed thiings like that, let me know. I'm
        really curious to hear your opinions about my views."

        Nagy: What is an "essentialist"? What are the "current theoretical
        issues"? I don't know about others, but at this point, about these issues,
        I can only ask questions.
        Maria T.