RE: [mythsoc] loyalty oath

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 3 12:29 PM
      From: Mike Foster [mailto:mafoster@...]
      Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:43 AM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] loyalty oath

      >On another topic that came up in class last week:
      >so Bombadil serves the hobbits butter and cheese. Does he keep cattle
      or >is that commerce with Maggot or...?

      >"Where'd Bombadil get the cheese?" is certainly a topic the movie-only
      >types that you sense lurking nearby won't have anything to contribute.

      Well, he had a veggie garden, complete with beans on poles. Also Fatty
      Lumpkin. Why not a milk cow? Goldberry would no doubt take care of
      skimming the cream and making the cheese.

      But my real point here, having read the last couple of days' messages,
      is that I think we are living in a time when literature itself is being
      redefined. That will affect our definition of ourselves as a society,
      if literature ain't what it used to be.

      The English departments in both the colleges in my small city are
      including a vast amount of film studies. A Shakespeare scholar came to
      LSU-S the other day and gave three sessions, each one about the use of
      film to teach Shakespeare. Book sales are down. Videos and DVDs are
      booming. We don't have to like it, (in fact, I hate it!) but it is what
      is happening in the world. I recently read that some art museums are now
      making tour information about their paintings available on those little
      palm-things. Go into Home Depot and directions for making a patio are
      for sale on video. A major publisher of antiques guides and price
      guides is making some books available as DVD's. So it goes on.

      It was a big shock to meet my class for the first time and discover that
      half of them had not read the book. But they sure have studied the
      films. They catch me out all the time on details, such as the number of
      dwarves present at the Squabble of Elrond and what J-Aragorn wore when
      he revealed himself to Sauron.

      For the world is changing . . .

      (Just for fun, I think I will make the last session about Tom B. Who is
      he? How is he like Galadriel? Why does Gandalf go visit him? What does
      Tom's immunity tell us about the nature of the Ring? It does occur to me
      that another reason, besides running time, that Tom was omitted from the
      film was that the Ring had no power over him. PJ was a pains to show its
      overwhelming power right from the beginning, when he demonstrated the
      Eye flashing in Bag End.)

      Beth
    • Beth Russell
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 9 3:25 PM