Re: [mythsoc] on or off-topic

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
      Just to be clear: I have no problem with (some) discussion of the
      movies as movies. What I wouldn't want to see is a flood of such. And
      what I _object_ to -- the _only_ thing I object to in the discussion so
      far -- is the notion that there is any obligation to avoid
      "discouraging" or even inadvertently possibly seeming to "discourage"
      movie-only-fans from participating in _this_ forum (as Bonnie was
      claiming). If people are "discouraged" by the sort of criticism of
      Jackson's treatment of Tolkien that occasioned Bonnie's warning, then
      they probably wouldn't enjoy this forum much anyways. In any event, I
      won't be muzzled in my criticism of Jackson's movies out of any concern
      for the feelings of movie-fans; unless, of course, the moderator makes
      me.
      You'll also note, David L., that I specifically pointed out that this
      forum is _not_ limited to discussion of Tolkien, which someone had
      implied was the case by a question of topicality (and further note that
      no one else bothered to do so).
      Oh, and just because David L. thinks it's OK to discuss any given topic
      in this forum doesn't make it on-topic for this forum. That is
      determined by the stated purpose of the forum (twice previously quoted)
      and by the moderator who enforces it (or not), not by either David L.
      or me. But my "vote" on the matter ought to have just as much weight as
      David L.'s or anyone else's, to the extent that the moderator cares
      about anyone's "vote". Certainly it is not in my power to prohibit
      _anything_ so far as this list goes; but I have just as much right as
      David L. to express my opinion on what is and what is not on topic.
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
        From: "David Lenander" <d-lena@...>

        > As much as I like the people on this list, including David B, Carl,
        > John R, Mike Foster, Janet and the many others whom I've never met,

        :(