Re: [mythsoc] loyalty oath

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 3, 2005
      > Of course I do, or I wouldn't have said so. I've already seen the
      > Tolkien mailing list taken over by two logorrheic despisers of any
      > whiff of religious belief who have for at least two years now used the
      > list as their soapbox, all because people feel that they have to
      > "tolerate" every abuse of a public mailing list. So I know from
      > experience that it is quite possible for lists to be overwhelmed and
      > diverted from anything like their focus.
      > And I certainly don't want to _encourage_ it by bending over backwards
      > to be inviting to movie fans lest we harsh someone's tender feelings.
      > (And why _should_ we? Discussing movies in and of themselves is outside
      > the stated charter of this list; and it's not as thought there aren't
      > already a plethora of movie-oriented forums. In fact, forums focussing
      > on the _written_ works of J.R.R. Tolkien are now comparatively rare.)
      > So let me ask you: Do _you_ honestly think there is _no_ chance of this
      > happening?

      Well, I think I can speak for the Council of Stewards of the Society (of
      which I'm currently a part) when I say that there is no chance of this
      happening under the current Stewards. While the opinions of the movies
      vary among the Stewards, we're all still very committed to the writings.
      Also, I don't know about the Tolkien list you mention, but here on
      mythsoc, were we to get someone showing the traits you mention, I have
      every faith that Joan Marie Verba would deal with such an individual
      appropriately.

      ---Matthew Winslow---
      mwinslow@... | Where is the wisdom lost in knowledge? Where is
      x-real.firinn.org mwi | the knowledge lost in information?
      nslow.firinn.org/blue | --T.S. Eliot
      havens |
      Currently Reading: Who Murdered Chaucer? by Terry Jones
    • Beth Russell
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 9, 2005