Re: [mythsoc] loyalty oath

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 3 8:43 AM
      Dear Carl,
      'No chance' is not a wager I would take, because anything can happen.

      But, as has already been pointed out, the film fans have their own lists
      for playgrounds.

      If one is not interested in a topic--mythopoeic literature--one won't
      linger long here at mythsoc thread. Chacun a son gout.

      So I greatly doubt that this list--and I'm a newbie listling and don't
      bother with most--will turn away from its stated charter--don't recall
      ever seeing that but no big deal that--of discussing mythopoeic
      literature. I think your fear of that happening is not one to lose
      sleep over.

      On another topic that came up in class last week:
      so Bombadil serves the hobbits butter and cheese. Does he keep cattle
      or is that commerce with Maggot or...?

      "Where'd Bombadil get the cheese?" is certainly a topic the movie-only
      types that you sense lurking nearby won't have anything to contribute.

      Mike

      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      >Of course I do, or I wouldn't have said so. I've already seen the
      >Tolkien mailing list taken over by two logorrheic despisers of any
      >whiff of religious belief who have for at least two years now used the
      >list as their soapbox, all because people feel that they have to
      >"tolerate" every abuse of a public mailing list. So I know from
      >experience that it is quite possible for lists to be overwhelmed and
      >diverted from anything like their focus.
      >And I certainly don't want to _encourage_ it by bending over backwards
      >to be inviting to movie fans lest we harsh someone's tender feelings.
      >(And why _should_ we? Discussing movies in and of themselves is outside
      >the stated charter of this list; and it's not as thought there aren't
      >already a plethora of movie-oriented forums. In fact, forums focussing
      >on the _written_ works of J.R.R. Tolkien are now comparatively rare.)
      >So let me ask you: Do _you_ honestly think there is _no_ chance of this
      >happening?
      >Carl
      >On Mar 3, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Mike Foster wrote:
      >

      >>Carl,
      >>Do you honestly think that there is any chance of this happening?

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Beth Russell
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 9 3:25 PM