Re: Question about the ROTK extended

  • karlstar2
    Message 1 of 124 , Mar 2, 2005
      >You listed some mechanisms for taking the "easy way out", but did not
      >list what it is you sense newer fantasy writers are taking the easy
      >way "out of"...what kinds of things do you think are being
      shortchanged?

      Thanks for the question! I can think of several. Overpowered
      characters, while seemingly faced with insurmountable obstacles, tend
      to bull their way through them, rather than taking the road less
      destructive. Characters faced with overpowering enemies often resort
      to tactics Tolkien and others would have renounced, such as mass
      slaughter, 'collateral damage' of innocents, etc. The challenges of
      such characters also tend to be personal and obvious, not subtle.

      >I personally love the language, the quality of the rhythms of English
      >framed a certain way, and feel much modern fantasy may miss the
      >powerful effects produced accordingly...but this is just me.
      >
      >What was it you felt was being missed?

      I agree with you on this one, though I hadn't thought of it. It
      should have been obvious, but I am not much of a student of writing
      style.

      In fact, this reminds me of one of the authors I do feel produced
      quality work, and that is Stephen R. Donaldson.

      How far off the topic of Tolkien are we allowed to stray?

      Jim
    • Carnimiriel Isilraen
      Message 124 of 124 , Mar 9, 2005
        Alisson Veldhuis wrote: (responding to my post about my novel in progress)

        > I can sympathise with your struggles to
        >try to create your very own fantasy/mythological world, without copying that of others, since I myself am working on a novel now with a mythological theme. It is very enjoyable, but difficult. I too have only had close family member's read it, so it is hard to get objective views.

        Thank you for your comments! I hope your novel is going well. I'd be
        interested to hear about your novel. Feel free to respond off list if
        you don't want to post about it here.

        Ellen