Re: Question about the ROTK extended

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 124 , Mar 2, 2005
      You listed some mechanisms for taking the "easy way out", but did not
      list what it is you sense newer fantasy writers are taking the easy
      way "out of"...what kinds of things do you think are being shortchanged?

      I personally love the language, the quality of the rhythms of English
      framed a certain way, and feel much modern fantasy may miss the
      powerful effects produced accordingly...but this is just me.

      What was it you felt was being missed?

      Steve

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "karlstar2" <jalaubacker@m...> wrote:

      > Most people I know who've seen the film read the books long ago. I
      > read the first 1 and 1/2 books to my kids before the first film to get
      > them ready, the older one continued on and read them all, the younger
      > one has not yet.
      >
      > On a related topic, does anyone else think that a lot of modern
      > fantasy is taking the easy way out, with overly powerful characters,
      > too much attention to irrelevant detail, and overly convoluted plots?
    • Carnimiriel Isilraen
      Message 124 of 124 , Mar 9, 2005
        Alisson Veldhuis wrote: (responding to my post about my novel in progress)

        > I can sympathise with your struggles to
        >try to create your very own fantasy/mythological world, without copying that of others, since I myself am working on a novel now with a mythological theme. It is very enjoyable, but difficult. I too have only had close family member's read it, so it is hard to get objective views.

        Thank you for your comments! I hope your novel is going well. I'd be
        interested to hear about your novel. Feel free to respond off list if
        you don't want to post about it here.

        Ellen