Re: [mythsoc] Improving on Tolkien (AKA, People Wildly Misunderstanding Tolkien)

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 12:54 PM
      Interesting to note that in this link Carl gave, the woman defending the
      book against the films brings up a point similar to Janet Croft's about
      "Anticipation and Flattening":

      ' You mean, the only convincing "he's dead/no he's not" in the whole thing?
      As opposed to, say, the time in Fellowship when they tried to make us think
      Frodo was a goner (excuse me, the THREE times in Fellowship), the time in
      Towers when they tried to make us think Gimli was a goner, the time in
      Towers when they tried to make us think Pippin was a goner, the time in
      Towers when they tried to make us think Aragorn was a goner? If you ask me,
      Jackson messed up the only real resurrection story he had (Gandalf's) by
      pushing too many fake ones on us. '

      http://greenbooks.theonering.net/anwyn/files/030105.html

      Diamond Proudbrook