RE: [mythsoc] Improving on Tolkien (AKA, People Wildly Misunderstanding Tolkien)

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      You go, Anwyn! Stomp that book-hater!

      Janet

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Carl F. Hostetter [mailto:Aelfwine@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:47 AM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Improving on Tolkien (AKA, People Wildly
      Misunderstanding Tolkien)

      "I skimmed through the book and at the 100-page mark I'd still found
      nothing of interest. By that point in the movie we'd had a beheading, a
      disemboweling, a Gollum brawl, hobbit vomit, an orc massacre, and a
      critter getting stomped by a tree. In the book: twelve songs."

      http://greenbooks.theonering.net/anwyn/files/030105.html

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM

      Links
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        Interesting to note that in this link Carl gave, the woman defending the
        book against the films brings up a point similar to Janet Croft's about
        "Anticipation and Flattening":

        ' You mean, the only convincing "he's dead/no he's not" in the whole thing?
        As opposed to, say, the time in Fellowship when they tried to make us think
        Frodo was a goner (excuse me, the THREE times in Fellowship), the time in
        Towers when they tried to make us think Gimli was a goner, the time in
        Towers when they tried to make us think Pippin was a goner, the time in
        Towers when they tried to make us think Aragorn was a goner? If you ask me,
        Jackson messed up the only real resurrection story he had (Gandalf's) by
        pushing too many fake ones on us. '

        http://greenbooks.theonering.net/anwyn/files/030105.html

        Diamond Proudbrook