Improving on Tolkien (AKA, People Wildly Misunderstanding Tolkien)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      "I skimmed through the book and at the 100-page mark I'd still found
      nothing of interest. By that point in the movie we'd had a beheading, a
      disemboweling, a Gollum brawl, hobbit vomit, an orc massacre, and a
      critter getting stomped by a tree. In the book: twelve songs."

      http://greenbooks.theonering.net/anwyn/files/030105.html
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        You go, Anwyn! Stomp that book-hater!

        Janet

        "I skimmed through the book and at the 100-page mark I'd still found
        nothing of interest. By that point in the movie we'd had a beheading, a
        disemboweling, a Gollum brawl, hobbit vomit, an orc massacre, and a
        critter getting stomped by a tree. In the book: twelve songs."

        http://greenbooks.theonering.net/anwyn/files/030105.html

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM

        Links
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
          Interesting to note that in this link Carl gave, the woman defending the
          book against the films brings up a point similar to Janet Croft's about
          "Anticipation and Flattening":

          ' You mean, the only convincing "he's dead/no he's not" in the whole thing?
          As opposed to, say, the time in Fellowship when they tried to make us think
          Frodo was a goner (excuse me, the THREE times in Fellowship), the time in
          Towers when they tried to make us think Gimli was a goner, the time in
          Towers when they tried to make us think Pippin was a goner, the time in
          Towers when they tried to make us think Aragorn was a goner? If you ask me,
          Jackson messed up the only real resurrection story he had (Gandalf's) by
          pushing too many fake ones on us. '

          http://greenbooks.theonering.net/anwyn/files/030105.html

          Diamond Proudbrook