My Very SECOND Review

  • Edward F. Stack
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2000
      My very Second review for "Ily's Dream" (www.roxybooks.com or www.bn.com):
      Since no-one complained about my very First review, I thought I'd share
      this. I hope it isn't pushing my luck. It is from Sandy Cummins, she gave
      me 4 Stars, and it can be seen at
      http://www.ozemail.com.au/~pjcsjc/book-review.htm . Thanks Sandy.

      Highlights:
      "The author has an ingenious turn of phrase and paints the scenes well -
      this book was a pleasure to read."
      "...overall the book has interesting people and a lively story."

      Rating - ****

      Or read the whole review here:

      Ily's Dream
      By Edward Stack
      ISBN 1-929 120-82-6
      Published by Roxy Books (www.RoxyBooks.com)

      Ily chose the wrong house to break into, and now her death is
      assured. There was no outward sign that the house belonged to a
      wizard. But it did, a powerful wizard - and now his demon was going
      to tear her to shreds. He had given her one chance to survive: all
      she had to do was destroy the orb he gave her.

      Ily had become a thief from necessity, but inside she was a good
      person and she could not destroy an orb that exuded such purity and
      goodness.

      So now she faced her doom - trapped in an old abandoned temple...

      The demon was about to deal the killing stroke - she had no weapons
      left; in desperation she ducked behind a statue of a Goddess and
      threw the orb at her attacker. In her haste and fear, she missed
      and the orb hit the statue instead - smashing into pieces and
      littering the area with glass shards.

      As the blood from Ily's cuts and the essence inside the orb mixed
      and soaked into the crystal statue, it came to life!

      Ily was saved - her poor aim had returned the heart to the Goddess,
      freeing her from a long imprisonment. In gratitude the Goddess
      saved Ily's life and asked her to become her High Priestess.

      Finally Ily had someone to love - a Mother Goddess called Shumba who
      had originally created the world and often took the form of a
      lioness.

      But being High Priestess was not going to be an easy road - in her
      absence, Shumba's followers had been scattered or destroyed and
      their faith was weak. Relying on the faith of her worshippers for
      power, Shumba was no longer strong and needed assistance to usurp
      the false god the people now worshipped.

      The first thing needed was new worshippers - and Shumba told Ily
      that she knew just who to start with. There were pirates repairing
      their boat on the island and that was who Ily was to approach.

      A lone woman braving a shipful of pirates was the first of many
      dangerous tasks Ily would be required to perform for her new God.
      It would not be easy, but Shumba needed her.

      The author has an ingenious turn of phrase and paints the scenes
      well - this book was a pleasure to read.

      There are a few occasions where the heroine is helped out by people
      suddenly "turning up" and who had no real reason to have been
      there. But overall the book has interesting people and a lively
      story.

      Rating - ****

      Sandy Cummins

      Edward Stack
      Speculative Fiction for the Web (Winner of the PlanetDoom "Cool Site Award")
      http://members.tripod.com/edward.stack
      Author of "Ily's Dream", available at www.roxybooks.com or Barnes and Noble
      (www.BN.com).