Re: [mythsoc] on the trail of the Succarath

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31 6:08 PM
      At 1:38 PM -0500 3/31/00, Stolzi@... wrote:
      >In a message dated 3/31/00 6:11:04 AM Central Standard Time,
      >ERATRIANO@... writes:
      >
      >> The
      >> Patagonian animal which is the "manatee" in this tale is what seems to
      >keep
      >> coming up on the web.
      >>

      >Manatees live in warm waters, don't they? Patagonia is extremely frigid.

      While I initially suggested ground sloths, the behavior with the pups
      sounds very marsupial. And there -were- large marsupials in South
      America in the past, as there were in Australia.

      ====================================
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      sschaper@...
      members.delphi.com/sschaper/web/sschaper.html
      ====================================
    • Eleanor Farrell
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2000
        Mary wrote:

        >Here's some of the Succarath/Megatherium story, a translation or paraphrase
        >of the highlights. Be very aware that the whole story dates back to 1898;
        >still, it is fascinating. I have a few comments of my own in [ ]
        (etc.)

        Then there's the Megatherium Trust, in which Norman Urquhart unwisely
        invested Philip Boyes' money -- leading to the latter's demise and Harriet
        Vane's arrest for his murder [_Strong Poison_ by Dorothy L. Sayers]. The
        rest, of course, is literary history...... and even Inklings-related!!

        Ellie

        Eleanor M. Farrell
        Editor, Mythprint
        P.O. Box 320486
        San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
        E-mail: emfarrell@...

        Mythprint: Mythopoeic Society newsletter