Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien Unplugged

  • Debra Murphy
    Message 1 of 124 , Mar 2, 2005
      From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>

      >If Tolkien were being reguarly mined, as your stirring final two paragraphs
      >envisage, it would be in a way less bad (though it would be a
      >shudder-inducing reality for other reasons). This is because what most
      >concerns me about Jackson is that his work is being taken for Tolkien's.
      >Were there anti-Jacksons making their own very different films all the
      >time, this confusion would be less likely to happen.
      >
      >David Bratman

      I suspect there will be, but in twenty or thirty years or so. Whether they hewed to Tolkien's vision or not, the Jackson movies were terrific as movies, and terrifically successful, not to mention, terrifically expensive to make. No one's going to be fool enough to give it another go for a generation at least.

      That said, though I understand the grievances of Tolkien purists about the films, and agree with some of them, the "good news" about all this is that it proves, I think, that Tolkien's vision of a new and living myth that others might embrace for their own work is indeed happening. Trying to stem such a tide is quite probably a hopeless venture, and possibly counter-productive. Might as well kvetch at Joyce for co-opting Ulysses. The fact that he did and could shows not that the old myth was dead, but that it was alive and surprisingly well.

      Debra Murphy
      www.debramurphy.com
      www.themysteryofthings.com
      idyllist.blogspot.com

      Signup at www.doteasy.com
    • Carnimiriel Isilraen
      Message 124 of 124 , Mar 9, 2005
        Alisson Veldhuis wrote: (responding to my post about my novel in progress)

        > I can sympathise with your struggles to
        >try to create your very own fantasy/mythological world, without copying that of others, since I myself am working on a novel now with a mythological theme. It is very enjoyable, but difficult. I too have only had close family member's read it, so it is hard to get objective views.

        Thank you for your comments! I hope your novel is going well. I'd be
        interested to hear about your novel. Feel free to respond off list if
        you don't want to post about it here.

        Ellen