Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien Unplugged

    Message 1 of 124 , Mar 1, 2005
      At 06:36 AM 3/2/2005 +0000, Michael Martinez wrote:

      >David, you express concern about this group being invaded by movie
      >people, but frankly the majority (if not all) of the discussion I
      >find here regarding the movie is from people who aren't very strongly
      >influenced by it.

      That's because the invasion hasn't happened here yet. [And by "here" I
      meant "The Mythopoeic Society" more than "the MythSoc Yahoo Groups list."]
      It's already visible in Tolkien scholarship, as Janet Croft has reported,
      and it's more than that in the classroom, as Beth Russell and others have
      reported. I'm trying to head 'em off at the pass.

      >We could mine Tolkien, too, much more effectively than many other
      >20th century authors' works have been mined.

      If Tolkien were being reguarly mined, as your stirring final two paragraphs
      envisage, it would be in a way less bad (though it would be a
      shudder-inducing reality for other reasons). This is because what most
      concerns me about Jackson is that his work is being taken for Tolkien's.
      Were there anti-Jacksons making their own very different films all the
      time, this confusion would be less likely to happen.

      David Bratman
    • Carnimiriel Isilraen
      Message 124 of 124 , Mar 9, 2005
        Alisson Veldhuis wrote: (responding to my post about my novel in progress)

        > I can sympathise with your struggles to
        >try to create your very own fantasy/mythological world, without copying that of others, since I myself am working on a novel now with a mythological theme. It is very enjoyable, but difficult. I too have only had close family member's read it, so it is hard to get objective views.

        Thank you for your comments! I hope your novel is going well. I'd be
        interested to hear about your novel. Feel free to respond off list if
        you don't want to post about it here.

        Ellen