Tolkien Unplugged (was Re: Question about the ROTK extended)

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 124 , Mar 1, 2005
      > Caryn Sobel asked,
      >
      > >Has anyone written a book or article that explains
      > >where the book and movies are different from each other?
      >
      > And Janet Croft replied,
      >
      > >There's probably a website that does this.
      >
      > Well, there's this:
      >
      > <http://www.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_index.cfm>

      That project is no longer what it once was. It has evolved from what
      was a fairly accurate, detailed listing of departures from the book
      to a rather syrupy defense of the movies (which, in my opinion, was
      not really needed, since so many other defenses have been published --
      including a few of my own).

      The level of accuracy has deteriorated.

      But I'm not sure of what good purpose would be served by providing a
      detailed listing of all the films' departures from the books. By the
      time you get through listing the first dozen or so departures
      represented by the Prologue, most people seem to lose interest
      in "being persuaded" and just say, "Well, it's a good movie".

      David, you express concern about this group being invaded by movie
      people, but frankly the majority (if not all) of the discussion I
      find here regarding the movie is from people who aren't very strongly
      influenced by it.

      I cannot follow all the online discussions in depth any more. I have
      too many things going on offline to be much more than a discussion
      butterfly these days. So, I suppose I missed something significant.

      The Jackson movies have made their mark and that mark is not going to
      be removed by anything save another round of movies, maybe in 10-15
      years (I would like to see it happen sooner, but I suspect people
      will resist the idea).

      I think a broader approach to the subject matter would serve the
      reading audience's feelings better. If film-makers had the freedom
      to focus on just bits and pieces of the history, they would take
      license with all sorts of details, but we would have a chance to
      evolve a rich secondary tradition.

      Stories grow and evolve. Each generation seems to prefer its own
      versions of beloved stories, but there is room for a lot of
      interesting dramatic license, especially if people return to the
      fuller storyline. All the kings and princes who were dropped from
      the Jackson Middle-earth history represent untold volumes of plays
      and novellas (and novels) that, I think, readers and viewers would be
      hungry to devour for centuries.

      The quality would never equal Tolkien's original story-telling, but
      that doesn't mean that new directions and achievements could not be
      reached. We mine our old myths and traditions (Shakespeare, the
      Bible, the Greek plays, Arthurian legend, and more) for new stories.
      We could mine Tolkien, too, much more effectively than many other
      20th century authors' works have been mined.

      --
      Michael Martinez
      Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
      Message 124 of 124 , Mar 9, 2005
        Alisson Veldhuis wrote: (responding to my post about my novel in progress)

        > I can sympathise with your struggles to
        >try to create your very own fantasy/mythological world, without copying that of others, since I myself am working on a novel now with a mythological theme. It is very enjoyable, but difficult. I too have only had close family member's read it, so it is hard to get objective views.

        Thank you for your comments! I hope your novel is going well. I'd be
        interested to hear about your novel. Feel free to respond off list if
        you don't want to post about it here.

        Ellen