Re: [mythsoc] Re: Question about the ROTK extended

  • Carnimiriel Isilraen
    Message 1 of 124 , Mar 1, 2005
      karlstar2 wrote:

      >On a related topic, does anyone else think that a lot of modern
      >fantasy is taking the easy way out, with overly powerful characters,
      >too much attention to irrelevant detail, and overly convoluted plots?

      In a word, YES!!! I think most of my reading throughout my childhood
      and adult life has been an attempt to find something that even comes
      close to Tolkien, in the sense of taking me to a beautiful world that is
      at the same time magical and believable.

      Ellen Denham
      (now trying to write my own novel and hoping desperately not to fall
      into one of the above categories)

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Carnimiriel Isilraen
      Message 124 of 124 , Mar 9, 2005
        Alisson Veldhuis wrote: (responding to my post about my novel in progress)

        > I can sympathise with your struggles to
        >try to create your very own fantasy/mythological world, without copying that of others, since I myself am working on a novel now with a mythological theme. It is very enjoyable, but difficult. I too have only had close family member's read it, so it is hard to get objective views.

        Thank you for your comments! I hope your novel is going well. I'd be
        interested to hear about your novel. Feel free to respond off list if
        you don't want to post about it here.

        Ellen