RE: Re: [mythsoc] Question about the ROTK extended

    Message 1 of 124 , Feb 28, 2005
      At 02:38 PM 2/25/2005 -0600, Beth Russell wrote:

      >I think Bonnie's balance between what we traditionalists desire and the
      >world of film-onliers out there wanting to know more is a sensible way
      >to proceed. You catches mo' flies wif honey than you does with vinegar.

      I don't want to catch those flies. I want them to hover around Jackson's
      carcasses and stop bothering us. This is a book-readers' society. If we
      try for a "balance" with the film-watchers, they'll overwhelm us through
      sheer numbers and the lowest-denominator effect. Let them have their own
      societies and their own fun. Those who come to us should be those who want
      to know about the book. (And I repeat: that doesn't mean we can't enjoy
      the films too.)

      >We started with the Treebeard speech and I asked the ones who knew the
      >book well for other examples of dialogue out of place or spoken by a
      >different character. A longish list put together in a short time. It
      >was a good session for the film-onliers because it was a new idea for
      >them that Tolkien was tampered with.

      Maybe John Rateliff's coworkers should take this class.

      - David Bratman
    • Carnimiriel Isilraen
      Message 124 of 124 , Mar 9, 2005
        Alisson Veldhuis wrote: (responding to my post about my novel in progress)

        > I can sympathise with your struggles to
        >try to create your very own fantasy/mythological world, without copying that of others, since I myself am working on a novel now with a mythological theme. It is very enjoyable, but difficult. I too have only had close family member's read it, so it is hard to get objective views.

        Thank you for your comments! I hope your novel is going well. I'd be
        interested to hear about your novel. Feel free to respond off list if
        you don't want to post about it here.

        Ellen