Re:MISC.

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
      Hi Lizzie:

      Hmmm, bloody tragedy, that, shouldn't happen to a wee virus!!!!!

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

      > .......But my real Struwwelpeter (after someone on this list who is
      > permanently
      > traumatized by that work) is the story ... is it The Red Pony? some bloody
      > tragedy that happens to a cold. Really really horrid.......

      I agree. Steinbeck's story cycle was so nihilistic, & the last story had no
      relation to the others,
      even after I read it three or four times. Was I missing something, fellow
      Mythies? Just a bit
      off topic, but still LIT.

      Oh, my bro & I grew up with Struwwelpeter, but it fit right in with the Poe &
      Lovecraft he was
      feeding me when I was all of 8 years. Not traumatized by that, more by nuclear
      war threats.

      Bonnie

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
        colt...

        sorry...

        yeah, blind those rhinoviruses, then we'd all stay healthier...

        I didn't mind Struwwelpeter either, but then when I was younger one of my
        favorite books was a collection of poems including something like, How to
        Fry your Sister, and Nothing to do, nothing to do, put some mustard in your
        shoe.... And it had pictures, too, I believe. Little Willy poems and the
        like.

        I too am more traumatized by the real world -- possibly because in
        literature, I can avoid the scary stuff. I did however read Harris' The
        Red Dragon, or was it Red Dragon? By the guy who wrote Silence of the
        Lambs. That creeped me out for some time. Brrr !! And I skip on scary
        movies (like Carrie, and all the Jason and Freddie stuff) because I'm so
        susceptible. When I was a kid, I saw part of a movie called "Ssss" that
        was better left off network television. Somehow Jackson's LOTR didn't
        offend me, though. I'm in the positive camp there.

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        www.lizziewriter.com
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
          >I too am more traumatized by the real world -- possibly because in
          >literature, I can avoid the scary stuff. I did however read Harris' The
          >Red Dragon, or was it Red Dragon? By the guy who wrote Silence of the
          >Lambs. That creeped me out for some time. Brrr !! And I skip on scary
          >movies (like Carrie, and all the Jason and Freddie stuff) because I'm so
          >susceptible. When I was a kid, I saw part of a movie called "Ssss" that
          >was better left off network television. Somehow Jackson's LOTR didn't
          >offend me, though. I'm in the positive camp there.

          I watched scary movies all the time as a kid; I hated the "Freddy" movies
          not because they were so scary, but because they were bad horror films.
          The movie that creeped me out as a kid was *Attack of the Giant Leeches.*
          Truly bad film. The film that gave me nightmares was one about a woman
          with cancer, and I think the lead was Carol Burnett, of all people (unless
          I misremember). My nightmare involved babies with cancer. Strange how our
          minds work. *Red Dragon* was actually a pretty good film. ---djb
          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com