Re: [mythsoc] Question about the ROTK extended

  • Caryn Sobel
    Message 1 of 124 , Feb 27, 2005
      David Bratman:

      <Well, there's this:

      <http://www.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_index.cfm>

      which never even finished finalizing the list of changes in the first
      film...>

      Thank you, David. I spent a lot of time the past few years as a
      homeschooling mom doing this for our friends' children; most of them saw the
      movies before reading the books. Our daughter knew the story well before she
      could read, so our family discussions were a little easier, although no less
      passionate.

      My purely unprofessional, unscientific and anecdotal report on Readers vs.
      Filmgoers is that in our neighborhood, the split is almost even. These are
      13-16 year-old kids, deeply immersed in fantasy literature (most of them far
      more than I am), but still pretty young to read Tolkien. The ones who tend
      to be more serious and are readers, read the books as soon as they are able.
      Others see the movies, and give up on the books because they are harder work
      than just seeing the movies. To add to the unreliability, my sample group is
      about ten to twelve in number <g>.

      I don't like being elitist. I have always been a reader, so I tend to enjoy
      stories that way more. But I wonder myself how many of these children find
      it too easy to turn to a movie or video instead of sticking to the book in
      order to get the treasure, just because the movie is available. I know
      Tolkien certainly sharpened my reading skills as a youngster.

      Caryn
    • Carnimiriel Isilraen
      Message 124 of 124 , Mar 9, 2005
        Alisson Veldhuis wrote: (responding to my post about my novel in progress)

        > I can sympathise with your struggles to
        >try to create your very own fantasy/mythological world, without copying that of others, since I myself am working on a novel now with a mythological theme. It is very enjoyable, but difficult. I too have only had close family member's read it, so it is hard to get objective views.

        Thank you for your comments! I hope your novel is going well. I'd be
        interested to hear about your novel. Feel free to respond off list if
        you don't want to post about it here.

        Ellen