RE: [mythsoc] Frodo's age

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2005
      I kind of agree on the Frodo-age thing (and the olfactory sense thing, and
      the visuals-have-an-impact thing), but of course I have to argue. And my
      argument is that movies always make the stars look younger and cuter. It's
      a movie thing. Sometimes it's not a bad idea, because in some cases one
      might not be able to stomach a drama with a dull- or even repulsive-seeming
      protagonist. It's unfortunate that we place so much value on these
      impressions, but it's probably programmed into us for a reason.

      I don't really see the resemblance between Frodo and Harry, aside from dark
      hair/light eyes and clean facial lines. Could be there I suppose. I was
      also not boggled by the Matrix overlap, although it did explain why he
      looked familiar (all I could think of was Steve Austin's boss from Six
      Million Dollar Man, and I knew that wasn't right). What got me were the
      similarities between the animated and PJs work... especially Elrond.

      The thing that bugs me about the movie world is finding out that so many
      cute young male stars turn out to be short-tempered jerks. At least I
      don't think that will be true for Mr. Wood or Mr. Bloom. Let them be airy
      or fluffy, as many celebs are, but I'd prefer they not be
      girlfriend-beaters or foul-mouthed (cf. Jan-Michael Vincent, Jean-Claude
      Van Damme, Sean Penn, et alia). And, to be fair, Zsa Zsa is probably not
      the only nasty girl star.

      The equivalent in the literary world is when one reads up on a favorite
      writer and starts feeling that one would consider them rather a boor as
      well. We all have our gifts, and being gifted in one area, I suppose, does
      not make one exempt from idiocies in others.

      my .02,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      ... snipped ...

      Perhaps he's 33 at the party at the beginning of the movie,