Re: [mythsoc] on the trail of the Succarath

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
      In a message dated 03/31/2000 2:41:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      Stolzi@... writes:

      << This is then linked to the earlier Jesuit report of the Su or
      Succarath. >>
      Oooh oooh, would the Jesuit report be the source of the myths....? I Gotta
      find that magazine... it's floating around somewhere sans cover.

      Lizzie
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
        Mary,

        Wow! Thanks! There is a lot here to chew on. Is this a translation from the
        Spanish site we've been tossing about, or somewhere else? The part I've
        returned below is definitely the same content as the article in Ranger Rick
        back whenever. When you figure all the mythical beasts around (granted, not
        so much literature in 1972), and how little there is on the Succarath... how
        in the world did it end up in that article? What made the writer pick it?
        Golleeee so many wonders in the world....

        This is fascinating. I read a lot about Ice Age mammals as a child, but I've
        forgotten most of them. I knew them like the dinosaurs..... this is
        incredible.... I want the book with these essays... yeah I know they're old
        but a lot of old books are worth having, we all know that.....

        reeling,

        Lizzie

        In a message dated 03/31/2000 7:05:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        Stolzi@... writes:

        <<
        "It is horrible to look at; at first it appears to have the face of a lion,
        or even a man, since in front the ears the face is bearded, with short hair;

        its body is narrow near the loins, but thick at the rear; the tail is long
        and very thickly bristled, with which it loads up its pups when attacked by
        hunters, covers them and hides them, yet can run away in spite of its load.
        [I'd say there's a load here, all right]

        "It lives by stealing, and because of its hide is pursued by the natives,
        who
        can use the skin to protect themselves from the weather. They are usually
        hunted by digging a pit, covered with branches.

        "When the incautious animal falls in, with its young, seeing that it cannot
        get out, either through rage or generosity it destroys the young with its
        nails, so that they will not come into the hands of humans, giving at the
        same time horrendous roars to frighten the hunters, coming up to the mouth
        of the hole to shoot the beast with their arrows until it dies, raging."