RE: [mythsoc] Andre Norton enters home hospice

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2005
      Thank you Michael !!

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005
        THank you for this post.

        Like others here, I read everything I could of hers when I was young
        and still have many of the classic Web World paperbacks at hand.

        While others have come and gone with flash and hype, her's was a quiet
        understated presence.

        My prayers will be with her.

        Steve

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Martinez" <Michaelm@x> wrote:

        > Andre Norton was admitted to the hospital a couple of weeks ago with
        > a flu which progressed to a more serious respiratory infection.
        > Although her condition improved for a while, it appears that she is
        > now weakening. She has been released from the hospital to home
        > hospice care.
        >
        > Xenite.Org was home to the first dedicated Andre Norton community on
        > the Internet, and our Andre Norton forum at SF-FANDOM serves as the
        > hub for her online fan community.
        >
        > If this proves to be Andre's time to leave us, Xenite.Org will
        > observe a 24-hour blackout in her honor. The Xenite.Org site will
        > shut down all services and leave a message directing people to visit
        > Andre's Web site and the Andre Norton Forum.
        >
        > Andre's caretaker, Sue, has been posting updates about her health and
        > progress on the Andre Norton Forum:
        >
        > http://www.sf-fandom.com/vb/authors/andre_norton/
        >
        > SF-FANDOM will remain active through any period of mourning.
        >
        > Andre's official Web site is located at:
        >
        > http://www.andre-norton.org/
        >
        > I don't plan on announcing this news all over the Internet, but I
        > know many people on this list have loved Andre's stories through the
        > years and know the huge contribution she has made to science fiction
        > and fantasy.
        >
        > She is one of my all-time favorite authors and was truly the first
        > author to fully ignite my interest in science fiction and fantasy.
        > She had recently begun writing again and I was hopeful she would have
        > a few creative years left. You have my permission to pass this on if
        > you know of a community that would be interested.
        >
        > To be honest, some part of me still wants to see her celebrate her
        > 100th birthday. I will keep hope until the end.
        >
        > My best wishes to everyone.
      • karlstar2
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005
          I enjoyed her works too, though I suppose I'm one of the few that
          enjoyed Quag Keep. I think we're about to lose a lot of good authors
          in the coming years.
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2005
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "karlstar2" <jalaubacker@m...> wrote:

            > I enjoyed her works too, though I suppose I'm one of the few that
            > enjoyed Quag Keep. I think we're about to lose a lot of good
            authors
            > in the coming years.

            I haven't met many people who really liked it, but I did. I enjoyed
            the fact that she was being experimental. I had heard about Dungeons
            and Dragons but had not played it by the time I read this book.

            As of the last time I checked, there has been no reported change in
            Andre's health. I have been encouraging fans to write to her. The
            last time the doctors thought they might lose her, a massive fan
            letter writing campaign lifted her spirits and she recovered.

            It's just hard to let go of someone like Andre, although maybe she is
            ready to move on. I don't know.

            --
            Michael Martinez
            Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2005
              I wrote her a note last time. Her books were my first introduction to
              science fiction, and when I learned she was a librarian -- well, that's
              what I decided to be. You used to be able to send an email through
              andre-norton.org, but it hasn't been updated since April 2004. Here's an
              address for cards and flowers as listed on Xenite.org: Andre Norton, c/o
              Sue Stewart, 1007 Herron St., Murfreesboro TN 37130.

              Janet

              > I enjoyed her works too, though I suppose I'm one of the few that
              > enjoyed Quag Keep. I think we're about to lose a lot of good
              authors
              > in the coming years.

              I haven't met many people who really liked it, but I did. I enjoyed the
              fact that she was being experimental. I had heard about Dungeons and
              Dragons but had not played it by the time I read this book.

              As of the last time I checked, there has been no reported change in
              Andre's health. I have been encouraging fans to write to her. The last
              time the doctors thought they might lose her, a massive fan letter
              writing campaign lifted her spirits and she recovered.

              It's just hard to let go of someone like Andre, although maybe she is
              ready to move on. I don't know.

              --
              Michael Martinez
              Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
              Middle-earth
              http://www.michael-martinez.com/

              Yahoo! Groups Links