RE: Re: [mythsoc] Question about the ROTK extended

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 124 , Feb 25, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      From: David Bratman [mailto:dbratman@...]
      Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 4:13 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: Re: [mythsoc] Question about the ROTK extended

      At 03:08 PM 2/24/2005 -0600, Beth Russell wrote:

      >I presume it said "now" instead of "not". But in typo veritas: to see
      the
      >movies is certainly NOT to discover the book!

      My favorite typo: not / now. Work / word is second.

      >But this answers my question: the course was about the book, not the
      films.
      > And yet, you felt obliged to frame the course as a response to the
      films.
      >Even though we keep being told they're a separate entity, nothing to do
      >with the book.

      The course as it began that first night was a confirmation of your worst
      prognostications: The Admin. took my blurb about the BOOK and wrenched
      it round so that the film was mentioned first. (Probably) as a result,
      half the class has only seen the film, and expects to learn more about
      it, and are not too bothered about the book. ("I read so slow!")

      As a sheer matter of practicality I had to sharply revise what I had
      intended to do, which was work through the book. Instead, I am trying
      to get the class to think about the differences between the versions and
      the reasons for the differences. That seems the best we (or at least I)
      can do.

      O tempora, O mores!

      I think Bonnie's balance between what we traditionalists desire and the
      world of film-onliers out there wanting to know more is a sensible way
      to proceed. You catches mo' flies wif honey than you does with vinegar.

      >What text do you use to compare with the film's introduction scene?
      IIRC,
      >Jackson's phrasing echoes a short conversation between Treebeard and
      >Galadriel in "Many Partings," but surely you'd want to say more than
      that.

      We started with the Treebeard speech and I asked the ones who knew the
      book well for other examples of dialogue out of place or spoken by a
      different character. A longish list put together in a short time. It
      was a good session for the film-onliers because it was a new idea for
      them that Tolkien was tampered with.

      >Well, uh, that's what "Henneth Annun" means. But the man as a metonym
      for
      >his place, sure.

      I think Birzer meant more than that. That Faramir was like a saint in a
      window: he lets the light shine through him.

      Thank you ALL for ideas -- I am so glad to have had a chance for this
      discussion!!

      Cheers,

      Beth

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Carnimiriel Isilraen
      Message 124 of 124 , Mar 9, 2005
        Alisson Veldhuis wrote: (responding to my post about my novel in progress)

        > I can sympathise with your struggles to
        >try to create your very own fantasy/mythological world, without copying that of others, since I myself am working on a novel now with a mythological theme. It is very enjoyable, but difficult. I too have only had close family member's read it, so it is hard to get objective views.

        Thank you for your comments! I hope your novel is going well. I'd be
        interested to hear about your novel. Feel free to respond off list if
        you don't want to post about it here.

        Ellen