Re: [mythsoc] on the trail of the Succarath

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
      In a message dated 03/31/2000 1:45:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      Stolzi@... writes:

      << Manatees live in warm waters, don't they? Patagonia is extremely frigid.

      I didn't mean "manatee" exactly, I meant that the Patagonian-sloth-whatever
      is the strange animal (like a manatee) that the explorers translated into an
      exotic mythical creature (like a mermaid).

      This Succarath thing is gonna be the end of what's left of my brain.

      Lizzie
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
        In a message dated 03/31/2000 2:41:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        Stolzi@... writes:

        << This is then linked to the earlier Jesuit report of the Su or
        Succarath. >>
        Oooh oooh, would the Jesuit report be the source of the myths....? I Gotta
        find that magazine... it's floating around somewhere sans cover.

        Lizzie
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
          Mary,

          Wow! Thanks! There is a lot here to chew on. Is this a translation from the
          Spanish site we've been tossing about, or somewhere else? The part I've
          returned below is definitely the same content as the article in Ranger Rick
          back whenever. When you figure all the mythical beasts around (granted, not
          so much literature in 1972), and how little there is on the Succarath... how
          in the world did it end up in that article? What made the writer pick it?
          Golleeee so many wonders in the world....

          This is fascinating. I read a lot about Ice Age mammals as a child, but I've
          forgotten most of them. I knew them like the dinosaurs..... this is
          incredible.... I want the book with these essays... yeah I know they're old
          but a lot of old books are worth having, we all know that.....

          reeling,

          Lizzie

          In a message dated 03/31/2000 7:05:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          <<
          "It is horrible to look at; at first it appears to have the face of a lion,
          or even a man, since in front the ears the face is bearded, with short hair;

          its body is narrow near the loins, but thick at the rear; the tail is long
          and very thickly bristled, with which it loads up its pups when attacked by
          hunters, covers them and hides them, yet can run away in spite of its load.
          [I'd say there's a load here, all right]

          "It lives by stealing, and because of its hide is pursued by the natives,
          who
          can use the skin to protect themselves from the weather. They are usually
          hunted by digging a pit, covered with branches.

          "When the incautious animal falls in, with its young, seeing that it cannot
          get out, either through rage or generosity it destroys the young with its
          nails, so that they will not come into the hands of humans, giving at the
          same time horrendous roars to frighten the hunters, coming up to the mouth
          of the hole to shoot the beast with their arrows until it dies, raging."