Re: Digest Number 30

  • Nagy Gergely
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 1999
      Sorry to everyone I might have misled,
      I have just got my own messages in the digests and have to apologize for a
      typing error: I intended to say that we *shouldn't* turn this fiald into
      an esoteric something inside whiich we can safely iignore current
      theoretical issues.
      Anyway, I'm quite disappointed that nobody reacted on those. If that's
      because you've already discussed thiings like that, let me know. I'm
      really curious to hear your opinions about my views.

      NAGY GERGELY
      a/k/a Sir Lamorak de Galis Szeged, Hungary
      Attila Jozsef University, Institute of English and American Studies
      and Department of Classical Philology
      lamorak@....u-szeged.hu or h534394@....u-szeged.hu
      'Pantes anthropoi tou edenai oregontai physei.'
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 1999
        Nagy Gergely wrote:

        > From: Nagy Gergely <lamorak@....u-szeged.hu>
        >
        > Sorry to everyone I might have misled,
        > I have just got my own messages in the digests and have to apologize for a
        > typing error: I intended to say that we *shouldn't* turn this fiald into
        > an esoteric something inside whiich we can safely iignore current
        > theoretical issues.
        > Anyway, I'm quite disappointed that nobody reacted on those. If that's
        > because you've already discussed thiings like that, let me know. I'm
        > really curious to hear your opinions about my views.

        Let's see if I understand you. You'd like to look at fantastic texts
        like Tolkien's using current literarary criticism. I have to admit out
        front that I don't like post-structuralism much, especially dislike the
        deconstructionists, and think that the seamless integrity of a work like
        Tolkien's is especially unsympathetic to such readings. Perhaps if you
        could explain a little about your own literary critical / philosophic
        stance, we might be able to begin a discussion. ---djb.
      • Tom & Maria T
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 1999
          Nagy Gergely wrote:

          "Anyway, I'm quite disappointed that nobody reacted on those. If that's
          because you've already discussed thiings like that, let me know. I'm
          really curious to hear your opinions about my views."

          Nagy: What is an "essentialist"? What are the "current theoretical
          issues"? I don't know about others, but at this point, about these issues,
          I can only ask questions.
          Maria T.