Re: [mythsoc] on the trail of the Succarath

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2000
      In a message dated 03/30/2000 9:09:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      estack@... writes:
      <<If your friend is from Brasil it will be Portugese, but Patagonia is
      spanish-speaking.>>

      Thanks. With all the Portuguese people in this area, you'd think I'd be able
      to keep it straight.

      << You need to see
      the original text, the one they cite.

      That is my cut, but I wouldn't charge a translation fee for it. >>
      LOL. I need to dig some more, that is why I haven't come back with the usual
      airy remarks. I think that the article some of you have been kind to take
      additional translation stabs at, I think it's from the late 1700s if I recall
      correctly. I think the mythical Su is another manatee-to-mermaid story. The
      Patagonian animal which is the "manatee" in this tale is what seems to keep
      coming up on the web.

      I am going to keep looking for the article I originally saw, cos I had it
      within the past month, and when I find it I hope to scan the picture (it will
      only be black and white) and the blurb, and post it in a .jpg file at the
      shared files area for this list at Onelist.

      Oh, also, there is a website, I'm not sure of the URL, but the URL of an
      article from it is
      http://webhome.idirect.com/~donlong/monsters/Html/Basilisk.htm. The Basilisk
      article had tempting footnotes and bibliography areas. If anyone else feels
      the need to browse mythical monsters, it was a fun site.

      Lizzie