Oops, again

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24 8:41 AM
      Good grief, I meant "in the NEIL pictures," not the Denslow!

      And while I'm on the subject, if you've never seen the Oz books
      illustrations, search out the facsimile reproductions that have come
      out in the past few years from Books of Wonder. The reproductions of
      the color and hundreds of illustrations that had been blurry or
      omitted altogether in recent editions are a revelation. Even apart
      from the text, you can see why these books were such publishing
      successes in the early decades of the twentieth century, and perhaps
      why Oz had such an impact on children's memories.

      On Feb 24, 2005, at 9:52 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > The wonderful thing about _Return to Oz_ is the way that many of the
      > characters appear the way they did in the Denslow pictures, 2-D
      > illustrations rounded up to 3-D of the Scarecrow, Jack Pumpkinhead, Tin
      > Woodman, the Gump, and others. Even Ozma, who initially disappointed me
      > for not looking like the Ozma of _Ozma_ and later books, looks exactly
      > like she appears in the two final illustrations in _Land_.
      David Lenander
      d-lena@... or david_lenander@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113