Re: [mythsoc]Paradise Lost'n'Found

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2005
      Bonnie -

      You wrote,

      >I hope that there are hidden gems in the crowd that has
      >come to know JRRT only through the movies, and I would tell them, "The
      >movies may/may not have merit but Tolkien didn't write them, much of the
      >richness
      >of the whole world was by necessity edited out, (or worse), BUT-- they
      >should be
      >seen as a pathway, not a destination. Now, come hither! Find out what this
      >literature is truly all about!"

      That's good. I like it, because it makes clear what we're doing and on
      what basis we're inviting them.

      Whenever I join an existing group, I expect to play by their rules. If I
      can't accept their rules, I'll leave. But if I can, I may learn something.
      In the MythSoc, for instance, I learned about Lewis and Williams about
      whom I'd previously known virtually nothing.

      Not all people are like that, though, and what makes me nervous are the
      people who attribute Jacksonian characteristics to Tolkien's plot and
      characters, apparently because they read the movie and the book on a single
      template. They're apt to become stroppy if told that no, Tolkien's Aragorn
      does not fear Isildur's tainted blood, and I fear having too many folks
      like that around.

      And many of us like Jackson too, and he's apt to become a permanent part of
      the local mental landscape. This is apt to make Jackson-prone newcomers
      think that he's on a level with Tolkien in our minds. This, above all, is
      what makes my teeth ache. I can only hope Jackson fades away after a
      while, as Bakshi did (lot of fuss over that for a couple years, though few
      liked it much), or as the Society's pretty intense Star Wars fandom did
      (another movie trilogy that was fun to watch but had little intellectual heft).

      - David Bratman
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2005
        David Bratman wrote:

        > Bonnie -
        >
        > You wrote,
        >
        > >I hope that there are hidden gems in the crowd that has
        > >come to know JRRT only through the movies, and I would tell them, "The
        > >movies may/may not have merit but Tolkien didn't write them, much of the
        > >richness
        > >of the whole world was by necessity edited out, (or worse), BUT-- they
        > >should be
        > >seen as a pathway, not a destination. Now, come hither! Find out what this
        > >literature is truly all about!"
        >
        > That's good. I like it, because it makes clear what we're doing and on
        > what basis we're inviting them.
        >
        > Whenever I join an existing group, I expect to play by their rules. If I
        > can't accept their rules, I'll leave. But if I can, I may learn something.
        > In the MythSoc, for instance, I learned about Lewis and Williams about
        > whom I'd previously known virtually nothing.
        >
        > Not all people are like that, though, and what makes me nervous are the
        > people who attribute Jacksonian characteristics to Tolkien's plot and
        > characters, apparently because they read the movie and the book on a single
        > template. They're apt to become stroppy if told that no, Tolkien's Aragorn
        > does not fear Isildur's tainted blood, and I fear having too many folks
        > like that around.
        >
        > And many of us like Jackson too, and he's apt to become a permanent part of
        > the local mental landscape. This is apt to make Jackson-prone newcomers
        > think that he's on a level with Tolkien in our minds. This, above all, is
        > what makes my teeth ache. I can only hope Jackson fades away after a
        > while, as Bakshi did (lot of fuss over that for a couple years, though few
        > liked it much), or as the Society's pretty intense Star Wars fandom did
        > (another movie trilogy that was fun to watch but had little intellectual heft).
        >
        > - David Bratman

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Hi, David:

        Let's just do the best we can. I understand what you're saying about the media
        images predominating in the collective imagination. I have no desire to
        create my Tolkien art using those characters. I still prefer my inner view
        by far.

        Here's to the future of sharing the special stuff we Mythopoeics do!

        bonnie