RE: [mythsoc] Trivializing Tolkien

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2005
      At 04:59 PM 2/23/2005 -0800, John Rateliff wrote:

      > To be fair, though, when I sit down to watch something called "Behind the
      >Movie" I expect whatever I'm about to get to be about the movie.

      Granted. I'm using the documentary mostly to show what exactly "about the
      movie" is about. But it does not distinguish the movie from Tolkien, and
      rather more than implies that Tolkien is like the movie. That is much more
      disturbing.

      > Bad as documentary is, it's remarkable that we have lived to see times
      >where instead of Edmund Wilson's sneers at "juvenile trash" Tolkien has
      >captured the mainstream so entirely that a spin-off of his work becomes the
      >subject of National Geographic.

      We hardly needed the documentary to show us that LOTR is a big deal. Heck,
      we hardly needed Jackson for that.

      - David Bratman