Re: [mythsoc] on the trail of the Succarath

  • Edward F. Stack
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30 5:14 PM
      If your friend is from Brasil it will be Portugese, but Patagonia is
      spanish-speaking.

      Edward Stack
      Speculative Fiction for the Web (Winner of the PlanetDoom "Cool Site Award")
      http://members.tripod.com/edward.stack
      Author of "Ily's Dream", available at www.roxybooks.com or Barnes and Noble
      (www.BN.com).

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31 4:10 AM
        In a message dated 03/30/2000 9:09:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        estack@... writes:
        <<If your friend is from Brasil it will be Portugese, but Patagonia is
        spanish-speaking.>>

        Thanks. With all the Portuguese people in this area, you'd think I'd be able
        to keep it straight.

        << You need to see
        the original text, the one they cite.

        That is my cut, but I wouldn't charge a translation fee for it. >>
        LOL. I need to dig some more, that is why I haven't come back with the usual
        airy remarks. I think that the article some of you have been kind to take
        additional translation stabs at, I think it's from the late 1700s if I recall
        correctly. I think the mythical Su is another manatee-to-mermaid story. The
        Patagonian animal which is the "manatee" in this tale is what seems to keep
        coming up on the web.

        I am going to keep looking for the article I originally saw, cos I had it
        within the past month, and when I find it I hope to scan the picture (it will
        only be black and white) and the blurb, and post it in a .jpg file at the
        shared files area for this list at Onelist.

        Oh, also, there is a website, I'm not sure of the URL, but the URL of an
        article from it is
        http://webhome.idirect.com/~donlong/monsters/Html/Basilisk.htm. The Basilisk
        article had tempting footnotes and bibliography areas. If anyone else feels
        the need to browse mythical monsters, it was a fun site.

        Lizzie